Baby Chicks on Grass

Hteeter2

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Well my baby chicks are almost 2 weeks old, and we built a little pen for them to play on the grass. Just last night we finished the pen, and let the babies play on the grass for a good hour or so. They were so tuckered out that three out of the four were just laying in their brooder box once back in it. At first they seemed a little unsure of the grass under their feet, but they eventually got to pecking around. Today I got them out in the little pen again as I watch nearby. I've even got one who is stretching their wings to fly a little. They seem to be sticking near their water, but mostly ignoring their food they normally eat. Is this because they're getting enough food from the grass?

Nope. They're just taking it all in. Sticking together is security for them. It's a big, scary world out there when all you've seen for two weeks is each other and the sides of a box! They'll get more and more used to things as they spend time out there. Whatever you do, don't assume they are full from what they've found outside - they need their chick food to meet their nutritional and comfort needs, and especially at this age I don't think they'll get it from the yard. They'll decide when to eat it.

Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you!

Nope. They're just taking it all in. Sticking together is security for them. It's a big, scary world out there when all you've seen for two weeks is each other and the sides of a box! They'll get more and more used to things as they spend time out there. Whatever you do, don't assume they are full from what they've found outside - they need their chick food to meet their nutritional and comfort needs, and especially at this age I don't think they'll get it from the yard. They'll decide when to eat it.

Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you!

Thank you! I got their food and water out there with them, and just a little nervous about them not eating their normal food. Since my original posts they're eating their food; well most of them is eating their food now.

Yeah, just wait until they're no longer outside my bedroom door and they're in the coop for the very first time. I'm used to getting up and being able to peek out the window of my door at night just to check on them. Once they get big enough; they'll be across the yard not right outside my door. I know I'll get over it once they're healthy adult chicken I guess or I hope. Lol

I'm so "heartless" I brood mine outdoors in a wire pen in the run from the start. Had the dust, the noise, the messes, and one little granddaughter with a burn on her arm from brushing up against a heat lamp! Tossed the lamp, found an old dog x-pen from my dog showing days, and I was done!! Never again would I brood in the house.
:barnie

I'm so "heartless" I brood mine outdoors in a wire pen in the run from the start. Had the dust, the noise, the messes, and one little granddaughter with a burn on her arm from brushing up against a heat lamp! Tossed the lamp, found an old dog x-pen from my dog showing days, and I was done!! Never again would I brood in the house.
:barnie

My bedroom door leads outside, so my chicks are outdoors too. We've got a heat lamp for them, but I only use it during the night. Luckily we're in warm sunshiny Florida, so I don't think the chicks need the heat lamp all the time. My brooder box is basically a blue plastic tub sort of thing that belong to my dad. We tried Pine shavings when we first got them, but we switch them to puppy pads which I like better. Plus you can get the puppy pads at the Dollar Tree. Also I can tell clearly when I need to change the Box because I couldn't really tell if they were going or not. With only four it would have probably took it a long time before we smell anything and I would rather not go by smell personally.

I think you're probably right about that; I think the lowest that it's gotten here is maybe the mid-30s like once.

The chicks have been back in their brooder box since 4pm. However they seem worn-out this evening. I guess they are having lots of fun playing in the grass.

Back
Top Bottom