Baby chicks pooping blood

Liquid and I started them on it today !
Hoping I can save the other 8
If they were mine, in addition to making sure they are drinking the Corid water, I would also direct dose them with undiluted Corid at .10ml per pound of weight for 3 days in a row.

They need to be drinking the Corid water really well.

Thank you all so much!!

This is the 3rd day on Cordi and the other 8 are doing better!!

I lost two of my Lavender Orpington chicks ( my favorite) but I am so thankful the others seem to be on the upswing!

Thank you all for your help!!

Not everyone understands my love for my chicks ☺️

Hey guys I have an additional question.

Eight of my chicks made it and are doing great!

They have been on Cordi 8 days now. Gonna give it to them for 10 days just in case.

Four of my chicks are getting big enough to start introducing to my flock. How long do I wait to introduce them to the new flock since they recently were sick.

Last edited:
Glad they are doing well!

Corid is given 5-7 days, then you can step down the dosage if you prefer and give for another 5-7 days.
As for introducing them, if they are old enough to start with integration, then once you finish the Corid it should be fine.
How do you plan on introducing them?

upload_2018-11-8_14-51-22.png

Glad they are doing well!

Corid is given 5-7 days, then you can step down the dosage if you prefer and give for another 5-7 days.
As for introducing them, if they are old enough to start with integration, then once you finish the Corid it should be fine.
How do you plan on introducing them?

View attachment 1584735

I have a small run inside my large coop this was they get used to seeing each other then in about 2 weeks I will let them out together.

Attachments

• CC94CA22-27C0-4FD5-9C65-1059CD88B0FC.jpeg
    CC94CA22-27C0-4FD5-9C65-1059CD88B0FC.jpeg
    946 KB · Views: 2
How are they doing?

Maybe Coccidiosis? In the most severe cases it causes them to poop blood and can be fatal. I remember being petrified, fearing my girls would get it. Luckily they did not. Other symptoms include diarrhea, but watery poop every so often is normal. Read more about the disease here:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/coccidiosis/index.aspx

There is a medication you can give them, and medicated feed can help prevent it. If they aren't all infected, separate the sick and healthy. If they are all sick, change the bedding very often. It spreads by their ingesting of the food, and once it reaches the... uh... last stop before the exit, the virus will take root in the cells of the wall lining. It reproduces, then causes he cell to burst so that the new viruses can go on and infect more cells or be pooped out. I haven't read about it recently, but I think that there are male virus cells and female virus cells. They have their little virus cell children that are called something else. I forget how the 'offspring' starts the cycle again, but if the 'offspring' are ingested, they will infect other chicks.

Last edited:
How are they doing?

Maybe Coccidiosis? In the most severe cases it causes them to poop blood and can be fatal. I remember being petrified, fearing my girls would get it. Luckily they did not. Other symptoms include diarrhea, but watery poop every so often is normal. Read more about the disease here:

There is a medication you can give them, and medicated feed can help prevent it. If they aren't all infected, separate the sick and healthy. If they are all sick, change the bedding very often. It spreads by their ingesting of the food, and once it reaches the... uh... last stop before the exit, the virus will take root in the cells of the wall lining. It reproduces, then causes he cell to burst so that the new viruses can go on and infect more cells or be pooped out. I haven't read about it recently, but I think that there are male virus cells and female virus cells. They have their little virus cell children that are called something else. I forget how the 'offspring' starts the cycle again, but if the 'offspring' are ingested, they will infect other chicks.
Much better!

I only lost two
The other 8 made it with the medication and keeping cages extra clean!

Thanks

How are they doing?
The OP updated the thread in POST#18 and let us know the chicks are doing great! :)

@SunriseChickers Welcome To BYC!
Let's clarify a few misconceptions. There are several strains of Coccidia that affect chickens. Depending on what you read/research, there are 9 strains that have been found and documented.
Bloody feces is caused by the strain of Coccidia not severity, one strain E. Tenella which affects the Ceca causes bloody stools. IMHO, if a chicken has a Coccidiosis overload, regardless of strain, it would be severe - all strains can be deadly and do a great deal of damage in a short period of time.

It would be better to treat the entire brooder if there is an overload of Coccidia. If birds are too weak to eat/drink and need specialized care or if they are being picked on, then separation may be needed. All the chicks in the brooder are exposed and ingesting the shed oocysts (found in poop, soil and feces contaminated food/water), so best to treat all.

Coccidia is a protozoa (parasite), not a virus.

The link you provided is very informative, after you read that one again, here is another one you may want to read as well:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

The OP updated the thread in POST#18 and let us know the chicks are doing great! :)

@SunriseChickers Welcome To BYC!
Let's clarify a few misconceptions. There are several strains of Coccidia that affect chickens. Depending on what you read/research, there are 9 strains that have been found and documented.
Bloody feces is caused by the strain of Coccidia not severity, one strain E. Tenella which affects the Ceca causes bloody stools. IMHO, if a chicken has a Coccidiosis overload, regardless of strain, it would be severe - all strains can be deadly and do a great deal of damage in a short period of time.

It would be better to treat the entire brooder if there is an overload of Coccidia. If birds are too weak to eat/drink and need specialized care or if they are being picked on, then separation may be needed. All the chicks in the brooder are exposed and ingesting the shed oocysts (found in poop, soil and feces contaminated food/water), so best to treat all.

Coccidia is a protozoa (parasite), not a virus.

The link you provided is very informative, after you read that one again, here is another one you may want to read as well:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry
Thank you for the clarification and the welcome.

Back
Top Bottom