Baby chicks staying small?

Schnayke

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Medford, Oregon

Hello I have two baby chicks we got in september 10th and they are still baby'ish.
This is what they looked like on november 16th. 10 weeks old.
They are barred rock pullets. Seems like I should have more chicken like birds at this point?
Our last two seemed to grow faster but maybe that is just how I rememberd it. ? I dunno know, so I looked around on the the internet and these birds look smaller then 5 week old birds, I see some people have. They are active, happy, and noisy. seems like other then the groth rate they are really normal.

Last edited:
I dont really have any answers for you hopefully somone else will , If they are eating and drinking and playing and look ok at least you know there healthy , the only babies I had that didnt grow litterly didnt grown and died at about a week with no feathers or what not ths isnt the case here so maybe just runts??

This is them at 15 weeks. My girlfriend took these today. We keep them inside still. We feed them the same feed as our other birds got.

Have you ever given them grit? Is the food you feed them small enough for them to eat? Buy some liquid baby vitamins and put a few drops in their water.

Yes we give them grit, it is very small food, "crumbles" and I havn't done it recently but did give them vitamin drops when we fist got them for about 3 weeks.

Try a half capfull of apple cider vinger in there quart // or a full capfull of acv in there gallon watter
Try a new food such as All flock starter that has 20% protien
Try giveing them a little scrambled egg mashed up into bite size pieces or hardboiled egg in bite sized pieces
Other then that if there eating and drinking and otherwise seem healthy I have no idea

haha well that would be cute. I would have to go pick up another two chicks though. Well they seem happy and healthy in every other way. They loved the eggs. I dunno I guess I will keep you all posted. let me know if you think of something I could be doing to cause this.

I have 2 Rhode Island red pullets and one of them was *much* smaller than the other for the first 3 months, but now the little one is catching up with her sister. I think some chicks just grow more slowly than others and your girls will probably be regular sized in a few months or so.

Back
Top Bottom