Baby Chicks That need water...How??

JensHens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
Ok so our chicks just hatched today. They will need water but our problem is that (yes the mother is still in there) the water is on the other side of the cage. But the chicks and the mother are in a box that has a 2 to 3 inch lip in front. How do we give the chicks water? Should we take the box out and just have her create a nest in the corner without any protection except a wall behind them and a roof on top and cages all around...but they will need water and we are not sure how to give them access to it. Please give any suggestions that you think would help. Thank you:D

(out of seven eggs 2 are alive and so far healthy, one is trying to hatch, and 5 more are still in the egg.)

I'm a mom who needs help raising her children lol

maybe if you cut a small hole in the box, like an in off the top , and get a wooden block, that is eaven with that hole and is big enough to hold the water thing, and put it infront of the hole.

Are they in a barn, shed or what ? You said there was a wall behind her and a roof. Are the other sides covered or fenced ?

Can you put a chicken wire fence around her so she and the chicks can move around and not be bothered by the other chickens. You can set the food and water inside the enclosure.

Yes, get her out of the box for now. Until the chicks are a little bit older, they may not know how to get back into the box.

That's what I did when my broody hatched chicks...put a chicken wire fence around them so the others couldn't bother them and, at the same time, they were in an enclosed area. I put the nest box on the ground and the chicks could go in and out as they pleased. I kept a small waterer just outside the nest box as well as their food. It worked great for me!! Forgot to mention, this was INSIDE the coop.
Ellen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom