Baby Chicks Tomorrow!

Did they bring you any Jumbalaya or did they keep it all to themselves?
tongue.png

Jim- the little turkies ate it all themselves! haha =)
Thanks guys, they're a lot of fun. My toddler is so excited about the "baby chicks, peep peep!" She knows not to touch the brooder or the chicks, and it's covered (no worries, they're safe from little hands!) We are having a lot of fun watching them.

Aww! I'm glad they made it through OK!

Re: Your toddler: My oldest keeps saying, "They're so cute I'm gonna DIE!"

Re: names: The only one we've settled on is the one in the very back corner (in my profile pic).
My youngest has named her Sparkles...not the name I would've chosen :lol:

I love the name sparkles! So original for a chick. ;)

I lost one, this morning. She was just laying (stiff) in the middle of the brooder? No idea what happened. The others seem fine?

:-/ I don't know.
This is my first batch, too.
They're vaxed, so I don't know what else to look for
hu.gif

The only thing I've been consistently checking (and have fixed a few times) is that their vents are clogged.
One of my Welsummers was clogged a couple days in a row - each time I cleared her waste and put her back in the brooder, she did a little chick-shake and, er, voided quite a bit.
That's cleared up since I put a dab of apple cider vinegar in their water. Counterintuitively, it seems to have firmed up their poo and made it less likely to stick.

Last edited:
Thanks Proxieme. It looks like there may be blood in some of their poop? So I am putting powdered milk in their food until the stores reopen tomorrow. Im going to get some stuff for Cocci just in case. I haven't lost another yet, but I don't know. Only, Kroger didn't have regular powdered milk, it's buttermilk. You think that will hurt them? I've been checking vents and they look good..

What does the apple cider vinegar do? Should I add that to my water just in case? I'm so worried and confused.

The apple cider vinegar (ACV) is supposed to help keep the water from getting slimy and to help their intestines some way. You can do a search on here about ACV and get better info than from me! And you can find the dose amount on here. I think it is 1TBSP per gallon.
Are you seeing their "caecal poop"? That is a really dark, reddish brown and runny compared to their other poop. I freaked out when I first saw that and did a search on here. That is NORMAL! They have that kind of poop every 7th or 8th time from what I read. Hang in there!
hugs.gif

Thanks Proxieme. It looks like there may be blood in some of their poop? So I am putting powdered milk in their food until the stores reopen tomorrow. Im going to get some stuff for Cocci just in case. I haven't lost another yet, but I don't know. Only, Kroger didn't have regular powdered milk, it's buttermilk. You think that will hurt them? I've been checking vents and they look good..

What does the apple cider vinegar do? Should I add that to my water just in case? I'm so worried and confused.

Proxieme, another thing that I found that helped with the pasty butt was to dab some olive oil on their bums!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom