Baby chicks

kelseyann1995

Hatching
Mar 20, 2017
My sister just got 6 baby chicks, she went to check on them the one was wet and in a corner she wouldn't move from the corner. My sister gave her water through a dropper since she wasn't eating or drinking. An hour later she went back to check on the baby chick she was dead what would be the cause of it. Help!

I'm so sorry! What do you mean by wet exactly? Was it water? Or something else? Was their water tipped over or is it big enough it could have fallen in? Do you have a heat lamp for them? If it happens again, I would get a washcloth and dry it off, and keep it someplace warm. It may have gone into shock from being cold from the water. That would be my guess. Hope this was helpful!

My sister just got 6 baby chicks, she went to check on them the one was wet and in a corner she wouldn't move from the corner. My sister gave her water through a dropper since she wasn't eating or drinking. An hour later she went back to check on the baby chick she was dead what would be the cause of it. Help!
Hi @kelseyann1995
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss.
Can you post some photos of your brooder?
How old are the chicks?
What's the temperature in your brooder?
Do you know how she got wet?

Check to see if the water station is secured and that chicks can't get into water. If there are any others that are wet, you need to try to dry them off. Either with a towel or being careful not to burn them - use a hairdryer set on low heat.

Clean up any spilled water in the brooder to keep your bedding dry. Watch to see that they are drinking and eating.

Chicks need one warm spot in the brooder, if they are less than a week old, aim for 90-95F in one area and let the rest remain cool. Decrease your temperature about 5degrees each week. These are guidelines - the best way to know your temperature is correct is to watch your chicks. If they are all huddling under the lamp and not active, then you need a little more heat, if they are avoiding the heat all together, they are too hot.

We look forward to seeing your new babies and their brooder
smile.png

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom