Baby chicks

Backyardsilkie

Hatching
Mar 6, 2021
Hello, so today we bought 10 baby chicks and one of them has a splayed leg. It is getting better but is it a type of sickness or what? And they are so cute! My other chicken died of worms so this is a good opportunity for me to ask before one is dead but let me know if it is a sickness or of the sort, My feather babies are so cute 🥰
C0D1232A-D8AC-4BE7-B766-F84CE3A8736A.jpeg

Hello, so today we bought 10 baby chicks and one of them has a splayed leg. It is getting better but is it a type of sickness or what? And they are so cute! My other chicken died of worms so this is a good opportunity for me to ask before one is dead but let me know if it is a sickness or of the sort, My feather babies are so cute 🥰 View attachment 2558888
They are cute! Spraddle leg is not a disease. It is when the chicks are trying to walk but their bedding is too slick for them to stand up right and they slip around hurting their tendons. Just make a hobble ( there are YouTube videos) Are you sure it’s spraddle leg though? Maybe post some pictures of the chick to make sure it’s healthy.

I'm sorry you lost a chick! I hope your others continue to thrive! They are adorable! You might consider putting down some paper towels in their brooder to help with traction and lessen the chance of others developing spraddled leg. Then when they're a few days old you can switch to shavings if you'd like.

:welcome

I used old bath towels for day - few days old chicks in the brooder under the feed / water. This works fantastic for grip.
After a few days I wash the dirty towels (without other laundry ) in the machine and start using unfolded boxes 📦 and sand as bedding under the feeder /water.

Back
Top Bottom