Baby Deer

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tamsflock, Oct 24, 2009.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I have a baby deer that has wondered up in my garden lake area that is just crying like a goat. It has been out there walking along the lake in about 3 in of water. Should I bring it in and put it in one of my stalls? Will the mom come back for it? My son has gone right up and pet it not normal for a deer. It isn't brand new but is still showing spots. Right now my dogs are locked up but come night time I let them out and they will find it if is still crying. Is it sick that is why it will let us come right up on it? Do I leave it or help it? I always help everything but this is a wild animal. Not like the chickens that fall off the tyson trucks.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You could try putting it in your stall! I know people here keep them as pets!! Has deer season started yet?? If it has it's mother maybe was killed!! You also might try calling Wildlife and Fisheries and ask them what you should do!!

Good Luck!!
    Missi

3. Burbs

Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    South East Idaho
    Your first step should be to contact your local fish and wildlife department. In most states it is illegal to keep game animals without some type of permit. Don't assume that the mother died from a hunter either. She could have contracted a disease and the fawn could be a carrier. Not wise to mix with your livestock.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The best thing to do is nothing at all

It's mother will find it if you leave it alone

5. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    as they say nature has a way

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds like its mother may have been killed. I would call fish and game and see what they recommend you do. However, if it was me in this situation, I would probably just bring it in and care for it until I could figure out what to do. Mother deer DO leave their young alone for quite awhile, but typically the baby deer will lay down quietly in the grass and wait for mom to come back. If the baby is making as much noise as you say, the mom probably never came back for it.

7. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Just found out bow season opened on the 15th. It is a girl and does still have some spots prob a month or two old not a brand new baby. I took some pictures will put them up in a few. You do have to have a permit here. I just didn't want a predator to get her I am hoping the mother will come back at dusk. I was told they will come back for 48 hrs then they give up. My problem is I have 5 dogs boxer,and rottie I am afraid will hurt it if it stays by the lake. I did move it in the pasture with my goats.

8. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    This is like dejavu...are there two threads on this? I thought I posted on this one but it's not here. LOL

9. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    She looks kind of young yet to be on her own. I'd probably keep her somewhere safe until you could call a rehabber.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by