Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
Went out at "O dark 30" and covered all of the beautiful geraniums in the front yard.

Thermometer on the back patio said 33 degrees...

Hope I don't have to do this everyday... but it's frigid out there!

Down to 32 an hour before sunrise.

Usually plants can handle it down to 30... but no lower.

They are all covered... I've found that it gets coldest either just before or just after sunrise.

I'm certain that there will be many locations here in the valley below 29 degrees... the orange growers (and other farmers with tender vegetation) will have their smudge pots out and sprinklers and fans running at 'airplane' speed.

33 is "frigid"?
smile.png
Oh, I wish I lived where you do.
smile.png
We haven't had geraniums or anything live and flowering outdoors since mid-September.

I hope your plants are okay.
smile.png

We dropped 30 degrees overnight. Been raining, lightening, thunderstorming. It suppose to turn to ice and then snow. Radar shows a nasty picture.

I sooooo dislike this weather/winter
sad.png

It's nice and warm here in Massachusetts.
cool.png

It's raining right now, about 40F, and the highs are supposed to get to the 60s this weekend. Almost makes me wish I'd kept the pool open...
lol.png

And yeah, December - February we are supposed to be snow-bound and in the 20s. This time last year, I could only do laundry in the kitchen sink and the bathtub because the laundry room pipes were frozen beyond what a plumbing snake and a teakettle could fix. 2006 - 2007 winter was fairly warmish though, we had a few snowstorms in March/April, a good snow in November, but a warm December/January. Hoping this year isn't a replay of that, because the late snow killed a lot of fruit tree blossoms. I'd rather get the snow now and have a warmer spring than have a long, drawn-out chill with intermittent frosts. You can't grow a thing other than lettuce with an ultra-short season and the winter dormancy all half-baked.

Well kids, I have the windows open and the ceiling fans on, since it's only 73.9 here. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow. Come on down, Yappy gets to bring the fudge, we'll see what the REAL Mahonri looks like!

Back
Top Bottom