1. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Just wanted to show off my new baby parakeets!
    [​IMG]

And here are the proud parents!
    [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Awwwww! How did yo get them to breed? Just put a breeder box n the cage?

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Congrats!

Their parents are almost as cute as they are! [​IMG]

4. ChicaChicken

ChicaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Based on the photo, those 2 proud parent birds appear to be both males??? [​IMG]

6. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I was wondering if anyone else would notice that! Yet they are a pair! The hen is the one standing upright and the male is hanging on the side of the cage. Her cree just turned that way recently! I also have a pair of young of theirs from a previous batch and the hen in that pair has done the same thing! I don't know if its feed related or what.When I first got them her cree was very light tan color. If it had been like this I would have thought someone was trying to pull something over on me! Will be interesting to see if it changes back.

7. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    The color of the cere does not always prove male or female, actually. Especially with certain

colored budgies - albino and latino for ex. I've seen females (Who have laid eggs) With dark

blue ceres, and males with white or pink ceres! Blue budgies are usually easy to tell by the cere,
    being they are so common. But it's still possible for a female to have a blue cere [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  8. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Aww!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I know! HOW do i get my keets to have babies?? Put a nest box in??

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The color of the cere does prove gender in all mutations. There are just differences between the mutations. Also a hen does not have to have a brown cere. They usually have one when in breeding condition but the cere can be a light blue with white around the nares. Often described as chalky. Usually this is the color of females not in breeding condition but some will breed while the cere is that color. Where as the cock has a darker blue cere with the same color or light blue around the nares instead of white and it does not have a chalky look to it. Some mutations the cere remains purple instead of blue but you can still tell the genders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by