Baby Parakeets

Okla-doodle-doo

Crowing
14 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Portland,Tn
Just wanted to show off my new baby parakeets!
19588_mothers_day_023.jpg

And here are the proud parents!
19588_mothers_day_024.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else would notice that! Yet they are a pair! The hen is the one standing upright and the male is hanging on the side of the cage. Her cree just turned that way recently! I also have a pair of young of theirs from a previous batch and the hen in that pair has done the same thing! I don't know if its feed related or what.When I first got them her cree was very light tan color. If it had been like this I would have thought someone was trying to pull something over on me! Will be interesting to see if it changes back.

The color of the cere does not always prove male or female, actually. Especially with certain

colored budgies - albino and latino for ex. I've seen females (Who have laid eggs) With dark

blue ceres, and males with white or pink ceres! Blue budgies are usually easy to tell by the cere,
being they are so common. But it's still possible for a female to have a blue cere
tongue.png

Last edited:
The color of the cere does prove gender in all mutations. There are just differences between the mutations. Also a hen does not have to have a brown cere. They usually have one when in breeding condition but the cere can be a light blue with white around the nares. Often described as chalky. Usually this is the color of females not in breeding condition but some will breed while the cere is that color. Where as the cock has a darker blue cere with the same color or light blue around the nares instead of white and it does not have a chalky look to it. Some mutations the cere remains purple instead of blue but you can still tell the genders.

Back
Top Bottom