What should I know about parakeets?

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
I'm thinking of taking in a parakeet or two from someone who has a lot she is giving up. A parakeet would be new to me and am currently reading up on them.

Can you tell me....what do you wish people knew about them? Good and bad?

Also, what type of setup and routine do you have for yours?

They're adorable and CAN learn to repeat simple words and sounds.
Mine always needed vitamins. Other than that, quality food, fresh water, a clean cage, and a cuttlebone to chew and they're happy.

They're adorable and CAN learn to repeat simple words and sounds.
Mine always needed vitamins. Other than that, quality food, fresh water, a clean cage, and a cuttlebone to chew and they're happy.
They are definitely adorable! These are in a group of 14. I have read a pair of males is best?

Last edited:
Male or male and female pairs are best. If you're new to budgies I'd never recommend a female pair.
I keep mine in a "flight cage", they're very spacious and provide plenty of space for them. They're super active and will use every bit of the space you provide. When looking for a cage go for one that's wider not taller, horizontal space is better for them than vertical.
Diet should really include a good pellet, seed and vegetables (Budgies do not need the sugar in fruits, so that's a treat food).
Toys are a must for mental stimulation.

Male or male and female pairs are best. If you're new to budgies I'd never recommend a female pair.
I keep mine in a "flight cage", they're very spacious and provide plenty of space for them. They're super active and will use every bit of the space you provide. When looking for a cage go for one that's wider not taller, horizontal space is better for them than vertical.
Diet should really include a good pellet, seed and vegetables (Budgies do not need the sugar in fruits, so that's a treat food).
Toys are a must for mental stimulation.
Do you recommend two in a flight cage? Not more?

This would be the cage.....

Attachments

• IMG_20231216_162343.jpg
    IMG_20231216_162343.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 15
Do you recommend two in a flight cage? Not more?
I've had up to 5 in a flight cage but that was out of necessity and ended badly. I wouldn't do it again. I currently have 3 in the large flight cage but having three is also generally a big no (I watch my birds' behaviour very closely and there has been zero issues, so far).
It's hard for me to tell how big that cage is but if they get out of cage time as well I'd say you could be fine with 4 in there.

Back
Top Bottom