Baby pheasant being rasied by foster slikie?! Need Help! URGENT!

Claire705

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Hi my name is Claire and I recently found a baby pheasant in my aviary and it was being looked after by one of my silkies and I wasn't sure if it would look after it because the slikie was keeping it warm and the pheasant was only 2 weeks old and the mother of the pheasant was not looking after it and my parents don't want to breed chicks and are very busy and cant get a broder but will get chick feed for it soon but I don't really no how to feed it even tho it is a pheasant it is a bit like a baby chick same food and all so I put a little disk in front of it to drink but it wouldn't so I put it up to its mouth and it drank a bit and kept shaking its head and it does peck around a bit but it's not eating and I got a little bits of chicken pellets and put it in some water to be mushy but it wouldn't eat it and my aviary is at the top of my garden and I live on a hill and it takes about three minutes to get up but it is very tiring and I do this everymorning to feed the doves and chickens and pheasants in our aviary and each time I check on the baby but the slikie is protective and will peck me so I throw some pellets at it and it stands up so I can look at the baby and I think the slikie is teaching it to peck around but it can't eat because I don't have any chick feed and my parents say I should just let the slikie look after it but the slikie can only provide heat for the baby and not water or food even tho we have a pond like thing in the avariy the baby and slikie stay in this metal cage like thing we have for pregnant doves and baby pheasants can drown in a few inches of water so any advice for a baby chicks survival please help I don't want the baby to dies!!:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Calm down and think. If it has survived for two weeks, it is getting enough to eat. Let the silky continue to care for it and provide feed just as you have been doing.

You can place a shallow saucer/plate in the pen with water in it and place a rock right in the middle so the plate can't be moved or spilled. The baby will be able to drink along the sides but won't be able to get into the water. Then take another small plate/saucer and place some corn meal in it, place a rock in the middle so it can't be tipped over or climbed into and the chick can access the corn meal around the edges of the rock. That should get you by until your parents get you some chick food and by then you can come up with a better waterer. Your silkie mama will show the baby how to eat and drink, so no worries.

I did a little research And I think the chick might be a few days old if not a less than one week old and I got some chick feed but the chick doesn't seem to know its meant to eat it because it's wondering around pecking the walls and random spots even tho the slikie is teaching it so i think it might be around 2 days old and is beginning to get hungry now :/ any comments on how to keep it alive

If it's just a few days old it may still be living off the yolk nutrition and will start to eat when that has been depleted. I've never raised a pheasant chick, so not sure if there are any special care problems that occur that other chicks do not have but I'm thinking if you provide chick appropriate bird food and water, the mama will help you do the rest of his care.

Here's a site that may help you: http://www.pheasant.com/resources/rearing-tips It sounds pretty basic and much like any other chick, so if you provide appropriate feed and watering situations your broody mama will provide the heat and all should be well.

How's your foster chick today?
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom