Baby SF with a strange beak...problem?

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
I have four 9 week old Salmon Faverolles. One of them has always sorta held her beak slightly open and I thought nothing of it until yesterday. I noticed that she is not holding it open but rather it is as if she has an under/over bite of sorts.

The top of her beak meets the lower beak and does not overlap it. She is eating and drinking fine but she is smaller than the others. Here are my questions, will this be a problem? Should I trim her beak? should I leave it be? If I need to trim, how do I do that? etc etc

I always go by the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" theory and as I stated she eats and drinks fine.

Pics of the little sweetie:

HPIM3607_editedSmall.jpg

HPIM3608_editedSmall.jpg

Thoughts, opinions, comments, advice...all welcome.

Last edited:
Hm, personally I live by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule too, and if she doesn't see to be distressed by it, and is eating and drinking fine, I'd leave it alone.

If it starts to pose a problem, then I'd intervene, but I don't think it's necessary at this point.

Besides, it gives her character, and an excuse to spoil her~ She's rather pretty!

Oh yes she is a sweet pretty girl. For a supposedly "docile breed that often gets bullied", my four do not. They go head to head with the RIRs that are bigger. hehehehe They got spunk.

Cetawin, I live by the same rule. However, if she were one of my hens I would take the time to offer her an extra feeding to herself each day. It may take her a little more time to get the same amount of nutrition as the others and that could be why she's smaller.
My little half blind chicken was eating and drinking, but smaller than everyone else. It simply took her longer to eat than the others and they didn't give her the time. Giving her that solitary feeding helped her catch up.

We had an EE that had a beak like that when we found her (yes found, she was running around in an enterprise car rental lot???)...i imediately filed it with a sturdy nail file, so it went together better and kept it nice and together always... She lived for a long time so I assume it was not a problem for her. I only worry that it will get worse as it grows...drinking seems like it would be harder if it all came out the sides?
roll.png

I'd keep an eye on it, or try filing it and see if she grows to catch up with the others...

Back
Top Bottom