"Baby" Silkie update after hawk attack

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi Friends,
I just discovered something new with "Baby" Underneath her beak on her neck it is real swollen. There is almost a lump there and she appears to be hickupping. I don't know if she is struggling to swallow or what but something is not right. I will have to bring her to vet tomorrow. I don't know if they will know much about a chicken or not but it's worth a try I guess.
The lump is about the size of a quarter. It's making her feathers stick out under her beak and she keeps kind of jerking a little like a hick up. She seems to be breathing fine. There is no blood still. I think it must be swollen. Oh no. Not good. Just wanted to update yall, Julie

Is there a punture wound? Sounds like swelling of some sorts. Let us know what the vet says.
Come on baby you can do it!!!
fl.gif

I posted a reply in another thread you mentioned this ... its an air pocket injury... the air needs to be released or the pressure will cause her organs to fail...

Get a needle that you put on a syringe... and pierce the skin.. do not go straight into the area... go in on an angle so you don't hit any major organs..and release the pressure.. don't put the syringe on to the needle only use the needle 25 gauge is ok if you have it

this is a little duck with the same thing, needed to have the pressure released twice and then was ok

Airunderskin-AirSacRuptured.jpg

Polly, WOW, GREAT photo! That is exactly what looks to be going on with Baby! So strange! I'm so glad you posted this for me. My hubby a physician,,,I may let him attempt to do this to her,,,I just hope it's the same thing and not something else. I may just bring her to the vet and let him confirm it first. Thank you for posting this...a big help to me! Julie

Back
Top Bottom