Baby Sparrow

tamberchick

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2015
Idaho
I found a baby sparrow under a bush in my backyard. I've fed him some Grandma Z's dog food, along with some of my chicken grower feed, and some baby food. Today I went and got some mealworms, and baby bird hand feeding formula. Does this sound like a good diet?

Seeds, meal-worms, little bits of wet cat food or scrambled eggs, and some bread soaked in milk or water should supply all the nutrients it needs. You could put a vitamin supplement in with it.
We've raised sparrows before. How old is yours? Is it possible it had just fledged and wasn't really orphaned?

Best of luck! Pictures would be great (I love seeing cute baby birds).
smile.png

From research, I'd say only 5-6 days old, so no, not a fledgling! I'd post pictures, but my phone does not agree with BYC. I read somewhere that birds cannot tolerate milk and bread...? Is that true or would you say that's for sure safe?

Birds don't do that well with milk, but I mention it because we raised our first sparrow on bread and milk really well. Then we went to the store to buy their baby bird food that the experts use and when we tried to feed it to her she breathed in the food and died. That's why I like the bread and milk idea, because it saved a little sparrow better than the "real baby bird food" did.
However, if you have better foods on hand, I would give them a try. You can grind up some safe bird foods (seeds, meal worms, other insects, ect) into a mash in the blender, but be careful feeding it to them!

I'm really glad you saved it. It sounds like it really needed a helping hand.
smile.png

Best of luck!

A baby chipping sparrow, fledgling

Back
Top Bottom