Baby Trapped In Mother's Feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cyber, Sep 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cyber

Cyber Chirping

Feb 2, 2019
    One of our Silkies, Emperor, recently had four babies, and due to the cold right now where we live, we decided to keep them inside. This morning when I checked on them, one of our babies had gotten completely stuck in their mother's feathers. It took quite a while to get them unstuck. Last time we had babies, a fair few of them broke their necks and we think this might be why.

Any advice for making sure that doesn't happen? IMG_1941.jpeg

2. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Although silkies are great broodies, the down side is exactly this.

Their bum fluff can be like fishing wire around a chicks neck and can easily strangle and kill them.

Next time you come to set eggs under a broody Silkie, clip the fluff on her undercarriage down and the insides of the tops of her legs. Not totally bald but at least so it's smoother/shorter and it lowers the chance of a chick getting caught in it.

It's sad this happens but at least you saved this chick! :hugs

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I had a chick wrapped up in my Silkies feathers too. Around its wing and neck. Poor little things wing hung low for about 2 weeks.
    I trimmed the wing feathers on my Momma because that's was my issue.

slordaz likes this.
  4. Rietta

Rietta Songster

Jan 3, 2019
    East Texas
    How about adding a heat lamp so they don't need moms feathers to snuggle?

5. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    This has happened with my silkies as well. I take a brush or my fingers and comb through to break up any snarls and bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: