bacillary white diarrhea disease

ChickLover2007

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2022
So my chick has white diarrhea coming out of his vent and I don’t know what to do. He hatched about a week ago and his mother abandoned him because he couldn’t walk along with some others. I looked up what’s happening and I think this is it, he matches the symptoms pretty well and I don’t know what to do. Is there anything I can do? I don’t have the money to take him to the vet and I can’t go out and buy medicine at the moment. Is it contagious? If there isn’t anything I can do, could I do something to at least make his death a little less painful? Their mom was a wild chicken and had eggs in my abandoned dog house. Pic attached any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• A5C3FDDD-E3CB-4AC7-9A8B-B31EC6D4B7A2.jpeg
    A5C3FDDD-E3CB-4AC7-9A8B-B31EC6D4B7A2.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 13
So my chick has white diarrhea coming out of his vent and I don’t know what to do. He hatched about a week ago and his mother abandoned him because he couldn’t walk along with some others.
I know this is hard to hear, but you admit to not knowing what to do. His mum knew instinctively what to do. IMO, from what you've described, his prospects are very poor, and any meds you offer will probably just delay the inevitable. His passing will be harder to bear the longer you fight it. It is not physically hard to decapitate a week old chick; a pair of kitchen scissors will do it. Steel yourself for it with the knowledge that you will be putting him out of his misery. :hugs

I know this is hard to hear, but you admit to not knowing what to do. His mum knew instinctively what to do. IMO, from what you've described, his prospects are very poor, and any meds you offer will probably just delay the inevitable. His passing will be harder to bear the longer you fight it. It is not physically hard to decapitate a week old chick; a pair of kitchen scissors will do it. Steel yourself for it with the knowledge that you will be putting him out of his misery. :hugs
Thank you for the advice, I’ll do it. I’ll try my best to raise the others, I hope he’ll be in a better place. I really appreciate the response, thank you.

Let me tag some others before you go that route. I do g have a lot of execute this, but it’s worth a second opinion.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock

What exactly are you feeding them? When you say this chick can’t walk we’ll, can you give a better description? Is this chick eating? You’ll know if glee us by how full the crop is.

They were all born like it, I tried looking it up but I can’t find anything. And by not walking I mean it’s like they can’t control their legs and not an injury, more mental less physical. And I feed them tomatoes and grapes, mostly grapes because they start to foam at the mouth and gag if I feed them to much so tomatoes are limited. That goes for all of them. And I tried to feed them other things like apples and strawberries but even when I mushed them into a paste they still wouldn’t eat them (again all of them) and yes he is eating every now and then. But the walking thing is for all of them, they can all get up and at least flop to what they want and they are getting better. When I first got them none of them could flop but two are walking the other two are flopping now and after the one I posted about got sick he stopped all together. He won’t even flop anymore, I have him on a tissue laying on his stomach and he’s chirping and moving his legs and wings which is better than before he ate but it’s still not good.

You need to euthanize each of these chicks. If it is what you think it is, causing the diarrhea, they were infected with salmonella as embryos. There is no possibility to treat this when a chick hatches with it.

To add to these chicks' woes, the bacteria has likely infected their spinal columns and nervous systems, and they would never be able to function. If you do not end their suffering now, they will continue to suffer two or three more days and die regardless what you try to so to fix them.

We as humans have an overblown notion that all life is sacred. It's not. Nature makes mistakes and usually cleans up her messes without our butting in. Now that you've intervened, you have accepted the responsibility to do the ethical thing and end their misery.

As @Perris instructed, it's very quick and painless, for the chicks anyway, to use sharp kitchen scissors and quickly snip off the head. The chick will not feel a thing and death is instant. It will probably affect you mentally, but you'll get over it. Reread this entire post if you start to have useless guilt feelings.

You need to euthanize each of these chicks. If it is what you think it is, causing the diarrhea, they were infected with salmonella as embryos. There is no possibility to treat this when a chick hatches with it.

To add to these chicks' woes, the bacteria has likely infected their spinal columns and nervous systems, and they would never be able to function. If you do not end their suffering now, they will continue to suffer two or three more days and die regardless what you try to so to fix them.

We as humans have an overblown notion that all life is sacred. It's not. Nature makes mistakes and usually cleans up her messes without our butting in. Now that you've intervened, you have accepted the responsibility to do the ethical thing and end their misery.

As @Perris instructed, it's very quick and painless, for the chicks anyway, to use sharp kitchen scissors and quickly snip off the head. The chick will not feel a thing and death is instant. It will probably affect you mentally, but you'll get over it. Reread this entire post if you start to have useless guilt feelings.
I see. This has happened before with one other but he died of chocking on his food and I never got to know what was wrong with him. Thank you for the advice, I’ll do it. I should have know as soon as I saw them they wouldn’t last long. Again thank you, not only do I know what to do but I also know what caused it, thank you for the support I really appreciate it.

I agree with your thoughts about what needs to happen if op is correct. My question is how do we know this is the right diagnosis?

Op just posted above they are only being fed grapes and cherry tomatoes. Could the excess moisture with no grains be causing diarrhea? Plus nutritional deficiency causing mobility/neuro issues? I’m kind of guessing here but figured I’d ask.
If we’re unsure about diagnosis, than I think vitamin therapy and a real chick starter is the best course of action, but I dont have any experience with the disease op is asking about, there for am no help in diagnosing it, etc.
If that is what is causing this, than I agree euthanasia is the best option.

I agree with your thoughts about what needs to happen if op is correct. My question is how do we know this is the right diagnosis?

Op just posted above they are only being fed grapes and cherry tomatoes. Could the excess moisture with no grains be causing diarrhea? Plus nutritional deficiency causing mobility/neuro issues? I’m kind of guessing here but figured I’d ask.
If we’re unsure about diagnosis, than I think vitamin therapy and a real chick starter is the best course of action, but I do t have any experience with the disease op is asking about, there got am no help in diagnosing it, etc.
I forgot to mention that they also have chick start and grain but I didn’t think it was important. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom