Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
No too much else to do and have the remove the old
I may get the pear tree cut way back this fall it needs it but still produces good pears
the last 12 years they where not taken care of
Usually the trees are pruned in winter early spring. When a tree is pruned affects the tree. It grows normally or it grows fast. Fall pruning might cause the tree to grow when it should b e going dormant. Severe pruning has a bigger effect on growth than light pruning.

Living in WA, I bet you can find people who know how to prune. Perhaps call a couple BIG orchards and expalin the situation and ask for advice on who can handle this.....they might have recommendations......or a fruit tree club.....

Burnt Nursery is in WA. Like across the street from you.... in Onalaska

Last edited:
Wow I had no idea there was so much to it! Thanks for all the info.

Also, I hadn't heard of cummins and went to the site and found the rootstock page and was reading all the info on the different ones. They have a pretty good page on it.

I didn't realize there were so many different root stock things. Or varieties of trees.

So I don't really get it... maybe a stupid question....

There's no like "natural" trees anymore? They're all grafted onto rootstock? It mentions grafting different types of apples onto the different rootstocks to test or how certain types do best on certain rootstocks, etc. So.. are they all grafts? I guess what I am saying is there's none that when planted from a seed or cutting or whatever will grow roots and become a producing tree? They all have to be somewhat made if you will? Or am I wrong? Just seems kind of the opposite of what a tree should do to survive in nature haha but I guess this isn't really nature, it's about producing the best fruit trees? Which is a good thing

And I have no idea what kind of trees I want. It's sort of overwhelming, pathetic as that sounds haha

I was thinking I might like fruit trees but I never have planted any because they take so long to start producing I keep thinking I'm gonna move. I should have planted them a few years ago so they'd be producing now cause now I really might move after I graduate haha but oh well.

I like apples and peaches. I haven't eaten many pears but the ones I have were good. Cherries are pretty but idk. And I really don't even know what other kinds of trees there are? I'm blanking on other fruits right now lol

We have almost 3 acres, though only like an acre is the yard, so plenty of room. Unless containers would be better?

I don't know.

I just want some fruit to eat and be able to grow my own fruits since I'm starting with veggies. I guess for eating fresh and like breakfast and being healthier and stuff but maybe also for pies lol

Good to know you can plant them now! Maybe I'll have to look locally
If you get dwarf trees you can keep transplanting them into bigger pots until you have your own place

Back
Top Bottom