Backwards duckling!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Pics

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
Hi! So I have duck eggs in the incubator and this duckling doesn’t look right.. it’s got a dark spot on the top of the egg and I can see it moving but it doesn’t look like it’s internally pipped.. is it on the wrong side? Do I need to assist? It has 3 days left and the rest have all internally pipped. Please help!! There is also weird yellow stuff by the air sack. It looks like it has a little more growing left but I’m pretty concerned.. please help!
97F20D50-F4DF-44FD-A38C-60CD52693E93.jpeg
the dark spot⬆️
0A0939DF-C142-40F0-A1AE-B18DF1A75A45.jpeg
333E8081-5DB2-4831-950C-8DE4E64E3E0C.jpeg

Hrrrmmm. Could be a couple of things. Could be it’s malpositioned and trying to pip internally and externally in one go. Could be that it has bacterial growth in there. Perhaps it hit a small vessel while moving in there. (I’ve had this happen prior to hatch before.) If you tap the egg while candling do you see any movement? Where is the spot in relation to the air cell? I have had breech ducklings that have a bit of a yellow tint because the yolk and the other egg junk is up against the air cell and not in the small end of the egg where it’s supposed to be. Or like MGG said, the humidity could be low.

Usually once my duck eggs get to lockdown, I don’t actually lock them down and up the humidity until I see internal pips. I check them morning and night to assess movement and if they’ve pipped or not. It’s still early, so I wouldn’t necessarily be thinking of assisting or making any holes yet, but I would increase the humidity now if you haven’t already and keep an eye on it. Duck eggs like lots of humidity.

Hi! So I have duck eggs in the incubator and this duckling doesn’t look right.. it’s got a dark spot on the top of the egg and I can see it moving but it doesn’t look like it’s internally pipped.. is it on the wrong side? Do I need to assist? It has 3 days left and the rest have all internally pipped. Please help!! There is also weird yellow stuff by the air sack. It looks like it has a little more growing left but I’m pretty concerned.. please help!View attachment 2392085the dark spot⬆View attachment 2392086View attachment 2392087
(Sorry preoccupied with a new batch of chicks today). I’ve had dark spots happen and still had the duckling hatch out fine. With 3 days to go I’d wait and watch for pipping in the next day or so.

@MGG they are Kkaki Campbell/Pekin and they have 3 days to go, but all it’s siblings have internally pipped yesterday and today. It was moving earlier but it hasn’t moved in a little bit that I’ve seen. The air sack is saddle shaped and pretty big
How long has it been internally pipped? The yellow is fine, but in my experience indicates that the humidity is a bit too low. What is it currently at?
Also, what day exactly are they on right now?

Day 25. It hasn’t internally pipped through the air sack I don’t think. It was just at 73 % the top is purple I tried making a little hole on the side and I don’t think I went all the way threw the membrane because it was like there was a duckling there and I didn’t want to stab it or anything

I’m not getting notifications again. :(

Deep breaths and distractions help when you’re trying to wait to hatch out ducklings. Lol. I had one that took 3 days from internal pip to emerging from the egg. He did just fine. It is far better to wait than act too soon. If you’ve got an external pipper wait for that guy to hatch and then check on this egg you’re concerned about. I’ve had eggs with extremely screwy air cells hatch with no issues whatsoever so I wouldn’t be concerned about a little saddle. 👍

as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers sang ... 🎶the waiting is the hardest part 🎶:lau

Back
Top Bottom