Backyard Pole Light

Raises hand!
Was one of the best things about moving away from the city....and having no nearby neighbors. There was a motion detector flood light in my backyard, I disabled the motion sensor.

I have compromised with DH and my SIL (who shares our property).

There is now a motion-sensor light on SIL's side of the shed that lights her parking area and the place where the driveway divides. It's on a timer circuit so that it won't flicker on and off all night when a raccoon or a deer passes through.

So there is someone else in the world who lives in the country to get away from streetlights and refuses to have any light on the property that can't be turned off. 😁

My "driveway" comes off of the electrical easement cutting thru the corner of the property, and my electrical drop is all underground. US Postal allowed my to set my box right up against the power pole - so if you aren't looking for it, as you drive by, all you see is another electric line crossing the road, and if you stop to look down it, unless you notice the mailbox, you don't see the start of my driveway. Only a 1/4 mile of "unimproved" woods and the edge of my neighbor's barbed wire fence.

Gave up a lot to be out here, and it was entirely worth it.

So there is someone else in the world who lives in the country to get away from streetlights and refuses to have any light on the property that can't be turned off. 😁

Same here. When I first moved out here, the fact that we couldn't turn off the security lights by the garage and porch drove me nuts - the lights were right under the master bedroom. Then we discovered that the switch was wired next to the garage door opener. We only turn it on when we're going out at night, otherwise it's off... frankly I feel much safer with it OFF because 1) most people, even neighboring houses, don't even know there's a house back here, so having lights off helps keep it that way and 2) have fun falling into the water if you're wandering around here uninvited, we have water on 2 sides of the lot.

This may be a tad late but I live in the country and we have 2 security lights on all night. One is about 30feet from our run. My hens have no troubles at all from it. They don’t have an complete enclosed area & they perch out in the run. The light basically shines in where they are and it hasnt bothered them yet. They roost on the perch we built and seem to be all good.😁 Hope this helps.

I have urban backyard chickens. Recently a shopping center behind my house installed security lights that shine into my yard and coop. I used a dark tarp to extend the roof on that side and added a repurposed matchstick blind directly to the wire on that side. My coop has a lot of ventilation because I live in south Texas where heat is more of an issue than cold. The blinds allow airflow but seem to block a great deal of light and the extended roof helps a lot also.

I live in a rural community, as well. We don't have the co-op security lights, as we live inside the township limits, so we have street lights. However, with it being 20 feet high, and you'll have a roof on the coop, that will block most of the light. In fact, as the days get shorter, you'll actually want to have additional light available for the chooks, so they'll continue to lay during that period. They need to have at least 16 hours of light a day to lay year-round. It doesn't have to be bright daylight... just extra light to make them think the days are getting longer. I actually have a string of bright light LED Christmas lights up inside the perimeter of my coop (8x12 shed) which provides them all the extra light they need, on a timer so that it comes on at 4 am, off by 7 am, on again by 5 pm, off by 9 pm. I like it, too, because I can see just fine if I need to check on them for any reason. They go to bed at the usual time, so it doesn't bother them. I check on them, and they're already on their roosts.

Back
Top Bottom