"Backyard Poultry Magazine" -- Any good?

I buy "Practical Poultry" every month at TSC - hopefully I'll have a subscription from Santa this year!! It has great information and hardly any ads!

Quote:
I too subscribe to Practical Poultry from the UK- Excellent magazine. Also I subscribe to Backyard Poultry and I absolutely love it, also I subscribe to Fancy Fowl which is a good one too.

I like Backyard Poultry. I am pretty new to poultry; it may be one of those mags that is good for a couple years, and then it's all old news and I let my subscription lapse.

Got a gift subscription to Hobby Farms. Glossy, Martha Stewartish, pretty pictures, and seemed to be written for people who are kind of ... well ... stoopid. Or at least very shallow and incurious.

Then I saw that it is published by Bowtie Productions, and it all made sense. Bowtie does a lot of pet magazines, and does everything to avoid intelligence, controversy, or substance. It's all about selling ads and making money, no real interest in informing people. Real writers can't get published in Bowtie publications -- they want off-the-shelf recycled party-line swill.

The one I miss is Harrowsmith Country Life, which went under quite some time ago. I've saved all my back issues of that one. It had some outstanding writers in its pages.

I get Backyard Poultry, and while I like it, I like the new mag that just came out much better. Its more for showing and stuff, its called Fancy Fowl USA.

Quote:
Eh??? No, Harrowsmith is alive and well. I see it on the newsstand every month (dunno if it's on US newsstands though), and get my m-i-l's subscription copies when she's done reading them. Is it possible you're thinking of something else?

e.t.a - as per the August issue, their website is www.harrowsmithcountrylife.ca

Pat

Last edited:
Backyard Poultry is a fairly new magazine.It is a sister magazine to Countryside and Small Stock Journal.I think many of the chicken articles in Countryside will eventually be in Backyard Poultry.
I sent in an article and many pictures to Countryside back in the spring of 2003.It was later put in their magazine in March of 2004.When you send pictures in they become property of Countryside(you don't get them back).
Later(2006) the same editors started another magazine called Backyard Poultry.In their very first issue Febuary|March 2006 I seen a picture of a coop very,very similar to a picture that I had sent to them.There was an address you could contact to order one of these coops.I started going back though the information I sent to them and after looking at the editors names that's when I realised they were related.I did get a letter thanking me for my contribution to their magazine and a free copy.(i'd love to know how the guy selling the coops made out)
They are good magazines,I liked Countryside but it may not appeal to all chicken people because it has all livestock in it and they are really livestock not pets.
Countryside and Small Stock Journal would be great for the hobby farmer(horses,beef,pork and poultry) where as Backyard Poultry would be better for the people raising poultry as pets.
Will
p.s.I would agree with the person posted that they like the articles written by the common man(and woman),I do too.That's one of the reasons I like this forum.

Back
Top Bottom