Backyard to Suburban farm

BroodyMama1

Songster
5 Years
Feb 21, 2018
Kentucky
So all my life I have always wanted a farm with lots of acres. But I am not at that point in my life. I currently live in the suburbs but have a decent size back yard. I’d like to start a small farm with it. I need help figuring out the best space for everything. 2 coops, fire pit, trees, garden, trampoline and just some area for the kids and dog to play. Any suggestions? The outline is my usable area.

Attachments

• EF5615F6-CB57-4232-88D3-1795793EF3D8.jpeg
    EF5615F6-CB57-4232-88D3-1795793EF3D8.jpeg
    620.8 KB · Views: 26
What's your sq. footage? Is your house outside the red outlined block? As for the lay out of your coops/garden, I suggest that you place the coops central, and put a run on either side. In even numbered years, let the birds have the run on the right, while you garden on the left. In odd numbered years, reverse the garden/run space. At all times cover the run with a deep litter. You can do so in the coop as well.

Do some research on the latest methods of keeping a small orchard. Look at Back to Eden style gardening. You can also do some interplanting in your orchard space while waiting for your trees to put on some size.

Hello BroodyMama! How exciting to start on a new adventure! I drew out a rough idea for what your yard could become. If you are set on 2 coops, i would add the second one at the end of the yard, and run a fence splitting the proposed chicken yard in half. This plan gives you 4 beds measuring 20'x4', a 40'x20' chicken yard, room for an herb garden, rabbit hutch, small orchard, composting area, and recreation zone (I recommend Koob - very fun!)

Be sure when setting up the coops that you have access to their droppings underneath. Given enough composting time, chicken manure is a valuable resource to have in a garden. You can layer it in a garden bed really thick (right on top) mixed with old straw, and after winter is over you have the perfect bed for planting corn!

I put the chicken run in the one corner because it looks like there is a tree there. I currently have ducks (no chickens), but when I did have chickens they always preferred to be under the tree, rather than out in the open.
20180223_221349.jpg

Hello BroodyMama! How exciting to start on a new adventure! I drew out a rough idea for what your yard could become. If you are set on 2 coops, i would add the second one at the end of the yard, and run a fence splitting the proposed chicken yard in half. This plan gives you 4 beds measuring 20'x4', a 40'x20' chicken yard, room for an herb garden, rabbit hutch, small orchard, composting area, and recreation zone (I recommend Koob - very fun!)

Be sure when setting up the coops that you have access to their droppings underneath. Given enough composting time, chicken manure is a valuable resource to have in a garden. You can layer it in a garden bed really thick (right on top) mixed with old straw, and after winter is over you have the perfect bed for planting corn!

I put the chicken run in the one corner because it looks like there is a tree there. I currently have ducks (no chickens), but when I did have chickens they always preferred to be under the tree, rather than out in the open.
View attachment 1274282
This looks very nice. Thank you.

What's your sq. footage? Is your house outside the red outlined block? As for the lay out of your coops/garden, I suggest that you place the coops central, and put a run on either side. In even numbered years, let the birds have the run on the right, while you garden on the left. In odd numbered years, reverse the garden/run space. At all times cover the run with a deep litter. You can do so in the coop as well.

Do some research on the latest methods of keeping a small orchard. Look at Back to Eden style gardening. You can also do some interplanting in your orchard space while waiting for your trees to put on some size.
Love the idea of alternating with the run and garden!

There was a book called backyard homestead that had some yard layouts and there was another book that had some different layouts also a homesteading type book name escapes me now but I suggest going down to the library or going on line and typing in homestead layouts for 1/10th acre you should pull up some good imahes to give you ideas to find what looks nice to you.
I would keep things in mind like what is the sun like in areas of the yard what a bout wind, also how far from water source, neighbors...those are the things I would keep in mind

View attachment 1274282
I love that you have the rabbit hutch next to the compost pile !!! They are some pooping machines . Also it is awesome that you took the time to draw up this plan. I am a dreamer as well and often think about what i could do with different spaces and circumstances . Grateful

Back
Top Bottom