Backyard visitor (pic)

Is that the usual color for your foxes? Ours(Chicago suburb) are just red tho straggly when blowing their winter coat. Maybe he got into poison or something. I wonder if rabies is the same in foxes as dogs. Remember reading dogs could get furious rabies where they bite at things till it breaks their teeth, and won't swerve from their path. Dumb rabies they just get paralysed and can't eat or drink, which is why they thought rabies was a fear of water (hydrophobia).

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif

Imp - I love your sense of humor - your posts so often crack me up! (I'm still laughing)

bsruther - Just great. Now I think foxes are cute.
he.gif
Thank goodness I haven't actually seen the ones around here! I bet these ones are ugly. Nice pic - I'm with the ones hoping it was just nicked by a car.

That's a very pretty grey fox and from the picture he looks fairly healthy..hopefully he was bumped by a car and nothing else.

Well, if this is any help, I rescued a hawk that acted the same way after getting hit by a car. No broken bones, the raptor rescue people said it had a head injury, like a concussion. I found it staggering around, then sitting, then hopping...but since it was in the middle of traffic, I took it home and got it to a rehab. Hopefully, the fox finds a nice place to recuperate and moves on. On the other hand, it could curl up deep in the brush and never wake up. I have found deer that way; hit by a car and dash a few dozen yards off the road, lay down and that's all. It does not look sick, so here's to hoping it is not rabies.

thanks for the picture, its really nice

Here's another, not quite as clear as the first pic.
I didn't see it today. I'll look around for it in the woods when the ground dries.
The funny thing about it all was that our resident flock of wild turkeys were up on the hill watching the fox when it was here.
They were maybe 200 feet away from it.

9rk5mr.jpg

Wild turkeys are a little too large for a grey fox to safely handle, although a pair of grey's will wreak havoc with a clutch of poults. One will distract the hen while the mate snags a poult. I have actually seen a pair of red fox work this technique on a doe deer. They seperated her twin fawns and had her charging back and forth between her fawns as they were each pushing the fawns further away from one another. This is I think a learned behavior and not one that all fox pairs utilize. I do know that in the year where I saw this behavior none of the deer in this area successfully raised twins.

I got attacked by a fox last spring. I had been out feeding and watering my chickens. I had just closed everything up and was going back inside when it jumped me. It had been hiding under my husband's truck. I was home alone with my daughter. Thank goodness she never heard me scream and come outside. One of the most terrifying experiences of my life! It was indeed rabid. I had to go through all the shots which were awful. I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

Back
Top Bottom