Bad behavior Red Stars

rocmoc

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I had to separate two of three Red Stars from the rest of the flock. I have written before about their cranky nature and now they are picking at my other girls. Even tho they are some of my best layers they can go and I will not purchase Red Stars again. The calm nature of my Plymouth Barred Rock & White Rocks with a few EE's is my ideal flock. I will slowly move that direction as I cull the flock over the next year. My Polish are just plain dumb but at least do not cause trouble.

rocmoc n AZ

i didn't know Red Stars tended to be cranky and added 6 pullets this last Spring. They tormented one EE when i integrated them in with my two existing EEs. Rehomed the picked-on one. Then a couple months ago, two of them started attacking my other EE. They got rehomed. But they all tended to act like hoodlums when i would put down treats, diving face first and gobbling so fast that the other hens could not get a bite. When i enter the pen they fly in my face, thinking they will get treats first that way. i really wish i hadn't added them. They do lay well, but have added a hysterical atmosphere to the flock. i may end up rehoming them next Spring and adding some calmer breeds.

In a pure red star flock they are great, friendly (to people) hens. I did manage to add 4 marans hens to mine, but they came in with the new flock roo, and it still took about 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom