Rapey Red Star HEN after her sister died

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y'all!

I had to euthanize one of my Red Stars for an oviduct infection. Her remaining sisters, another Red Star and a RIR, are having some trouble. I got them all in May 2020 from MPC. Yesterday the Red Star was trying (and failing) to crow. Now today she is trying to mount her sister, from what I infer. Her sister has a bloody messed up comb with blood on her head feathers and some dishevelled saddle feathers. I went out to check on them after I got home 10 minutes ago and the RIR was up in the coop and the RS was down in the run. The feeder was also tipped over. I assume the hens flipped it when the RS was trying to mount the RIR.

I cleaned the RIR's comb with Vetericyn and sprayed it with Blu Kote.
20210901_163608.jpg
20210901_163625.jpg

(Also appreciate the bit of wallpaper she ripped off. Yay.)
20210901_163612.jpg
20210901_163636.jpg

What do I do about my rapey Red Star? I have 2 three week old EE pullets that I'll add in with them when they're old enough.

*Sometimes* chickens can go through a visual sex change after their functioning ovary fails. If they're from last year in 2020, the signs of them being a male should have been obvious months ago.

Depending on the situation, she might be trying to exert dominance over the other hen as a "haha I rule the roost now" type situation since the other died, or if her ovary failed, her sex characteristics might be changing.

She'll never be able to fertilize an egg if so, but she might take on male sex characteristics.

Hey y'all!

I had to euthanize one of my Red Stars for an oviduct infection. Her remaining sisters, another Red Star and a RIR, are having some trouble. I got them all in May 2020 from MPC. Yesterday the Red Star was trying (and failing) to crow. Now today she is trying to mount her sister, from what I infer. Her sister has a bloody messed up comb with blood on her head feathers and some dishevelled saddle feathers. I went out to check on them after I got home 10 minutes ago and the RIR was up in the coop and the RS was down in the run. The feeder was also tipped over. I assume the hens flipped it when the RS was trying to mount the RIR.

I cleaned the RIR's comb with Vetericyn and sprayed it with Blu Kote.
View attachment 2819269View attachment 2819270
(Also appreciate the bit of wallpaper she ripped off. Yay.)
View attachment 2819271View attachment 2819273

What do I do about my rapey Red Star? I have 2 three week old EE pullets that I'll add in with them when they're old enough.
Sounds like she's head hen, & is trying to dominate the other hen.

This a dominance thing.

Can you take a photo of your chicken from the side?also how old is she?
She's almost one and a half. I can when I get home, but both have been laying eggs regularly so they're definitely both girls.
*Sometimes* chickens can go through a visual sex change after their functioning ovary fails. If they're from last year in 2020, the signs of them being a male should have been obvious months ago.

Depending on the situation, she might be trying to exert dominance over the other hen as a "haha I rule the roost now" type situation since the other died, or if her ovary failed, her sex characteristics might be changing.

She'll never be able to fertilize an egg if so, but she might take on male sex characteristics.
I'm kinda assuming she's just being all "LOL u suck weakling" at my other RIR, but if she gets a huge comb and long saddle feathers, I'll definitely let y'all know.

She has been in Bad Chicken Jail (BCJ) since Wednesday. I kicked her out today so she could have a chance to prove herself. She's less aggressive to the RIR but is now freakishly and violently aggressive with my d'Uccle pullets. I have 2 d'Uccle pullets in a separate coop/run. I put them in their large mobile run for a change of scenery. The Red Star walked over, clucked and paced on the other side of the wire to get their attention (they were being very idyllic and dustbathing in the shade) and as soon as she got it started attacking them through the wire. She couldn't reach them, of course, but she was full on hackles up wings out attacking them. She was kicking the wire like she had spurs, but she doesn't. This freaky rat chicken. The RIR runs when she sees her. Is there any hope of her snapping out of it? She's my favorite, and I would absolutely hate to rehome or cull her.

ETA: Her comb is getting slightly bigger.

Back
Top Bottom