Bad cut and possible molt. Help please!!!

Your birds are feather pecking/plucking - approaching cannibalism in the injured hen. Are you feeding a balanced diet, and do the birds have adequate space? It may be necessary to apply Pin Less Peepers to break the habit.
Also, they organic feed and have access to egg hells 24/7 and they have grit and since it’s been cold out I’ve been feeding them dried mealworms and corn.

Is there any overcrowding or boredom from not getting outside to roam around? What are you feeding? How did the australorp’s wound occur? Is she normally picked on? The feather loss could be from feather picking, but I would check for lice and mites. Do any others have feather loss? I would clean the wound with Chlorhexidene or Vetericyn, and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Keep her separated in a dog crate with food and water.
So I just went out and checked the buff rock again and it looks like she does have mites. I’m shocked no other bird is showing signs… I’m going to get some DE for their dirt bath, any other suggestions to get rid of them?

The Buff Orpington in your picture is also being feather pecked/plucked. How many birds are there, and how much space do they have
The Buff Orpington in your picture is also being feather pecked/plucked. How many birds are there, and how much space do they have?
I spend a lot of time with them and I’ve never seen her get pecked… she’s actually one of the bullies. They have 90 square feet and there’s 8 birds but they also have the entire 10,000 sq ft yard most days. They haven’t gotten out much lately because of the snow though. We live in colorado

DE isn't going to do anything to get rid of the mites. Get some livestock powder or sevendust (something with permethrin in it) and give them a good dusting. You're going to have to do the coop to after you get rid of all the bedding
I spoke to our local chicken store owner who has chickens himself and he’s not convinced it’s mites. She’s laying fine, not mood changes, no other birds showing signs…

I spoke to our local chicken store owner who has chickens himself and he’s not convinced it’s mites. She’s laying fine, not mood changes, no other birds showing signs…
You said yourself that she does have mites, they literally drain the life out of them! You don't have to try everything, but try something. Livestock dust is $5 a 4lb bag, isn't it worth a shot to save your lady? Just my opinion, they are your birds and you can do what you want.

You said yourself that she does have mites, they literally drain the life out of them! You don't have to try everything, but try something. Livestock dust is $5 a 4lb bag, isn't it worth a shot to save your lady? Just my opinion, they are your birds and you can do what you want.
Well I’ve never seen mites before so I’m just guessing because I saw black specs on her feather. I talked through her symptoms to the shop owner and it sounds like it’s not mites. But there’s nothing at the base of the feather and the black specs aren’t moving. I thought DE killed mites?

Back
Top Bottom