Bad diarrhea, poopy butt, flecks of blood, hiding in nest box

Oct 14, 2021
I have a hen who has been getting lots of issues lately. First, a few weeks ago, it seemed she had sour crop, but then it went away by itself before I had a chance to treat it. Now suddenly she's unhealthy again.

She's been hiding in a nest box all day and this morning it looked like she was dying, extremely lethargic and not even resisting when I picked her up. She doesn't have lice or mites other than some scaly leg mites (all of the hens have them right now, I'm treating it). She doesn't seem to be having any crop issues. It does look like she had gotten pecked hard at the base of the comb and it got bloody. What's baffling is the flock doesn't bully her, at least not when I'm around. Her vent is extremely messy with liquidy, pale poop and flecks of blood. I'm wondering if she's eggbound because she was perked up when I returned and when I let her out of the quarantine cage (more like she let herself out), she instantly ran over to the nest box and hopped in, then acted lethargic again.

Her comb and face are a healthy color. No issues other than her anxiety and the vent.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on with her. Is she getting pecked on the vent? Or is she eggbound? Or could it be something else?

Barring indications of other health issues, if you suspect egg binding, it would be wise to go ahead and treat for that. Get some of this if you can.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Give her one tablet immediately by prying open her beak and shoving it inside. Swallowing will be no problem. This will encourage contractions so she can push the egg out.

Since she's weak, put a teaspoon of sugar in her water. This will boost her energy. Both sugar and calcium should be given since she has signs of slipping down the road of no return.

Lastly, the blood is a warning that bacterial infection may be a threat. It would be a good idea to try to locate an antibiotic such as amoxicillin.

Barring indications of other health issues, if you suspect egg binding, it would be wise to go ahead and treat for that. Get some of this if you can.View attachment 3448074Give her one tablet immediately by prying open her beak and shoving it inside. Swallowing will be no problem. This will encourage contractions so she can push the egg out.

Since she's weak, put a teaspoon of sugar in her water. This will boost her energy. Both sugar and calcium should be given since she has signs of slipping down the road of no return.

Lastly, the blood is a warning that bacterial infection may be a threat. It would be a good idea to try to locate an antibiotic such as amoxicillin.
I will try and get the calcium citrate asap. She seems to be refusing to drink, should I make her drink with an eyedropper?

Barring indications of other health issues, if you suspect egg binding, it would be wise to go ahead and treat for that. Get some of this if you can.View attachment 3448074Give her one tablet immediately by prying open her beak and shoving it inside. Swallowing will be no problem. This will encourage contractions so she can push the egg out.

Oh also, if one tablet doesn't work how many times should I give her one until the egg is pushed out? (if eggbound is the case)

You can safely give her another tablet later today if she's still struggling on the nest. Then one tablet tomorrow. If the eggs or a second egg come out thin shelled or shell-less, continue the calcium once daily until she is producing good shells.

Dip her beak in the sugar water so she tastes the sweetness. Then she should want to drink on her own. If she's took weak to drink, then syringe the water into her like this.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

You can safely give her another tablet later today if she's still struggling on the nest. Then one tablet tomorrow. If the eggs or a second egg come out thin shelled or shell-less, continue the calcium once daily until she is producing good shells.

Dip her beak in the sugar water so she tastes the sweetness. Then she should want to drink on her own. If she's took weak to drink, then syringe the water into her like this. View attachment 3448146
I will do that. Thank you

I have a hen who has been getting lots of issues lately. First, a few weeks ago, it seemed she had sour crop, but then it went away by itself before I had a chance to treat it. Now suddenly she's unhealthy again.

She's been hiding in a nest box all day and this morning it looked like she was dying, extremely lethargic and not even resisting when I picked her up. She doesn't have lice or mites other than some scaly leg mites (all of the hens have them right now, I'm treating it). She doesn't seem to be having any crop issues. It does look like she had gotten pecked hard at the base of the comb and it got bloody. What's baffling is the flock doesn't bully her, at least not when I'm around. Her vent is extremely messy with liquidy, pale poop and flecks of blood. I'm wondering if she's eggbound because she was perked up when I returned and when I let her out of the quarantine cage (more like she let herself out), she instantly ran over to the nest box and hopped in, then acted lethargic again.

Her comb and face are a healthy color. No issues other than her anxiety and the vent.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on with her. Is she getting pecked on the vent? Or is she eggbound? Or could it be something else?
An update and closure for whoever comes across this. She died this morning. I was too late. She was definitely eggbound and I believe it was caused by bad stress from multiple factors. I'm just glad she no longer has to suffer :(

Back
Top Bottom