Bad Hatch Intestine Issue???

fruggiechick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
South Texas
Ok we culled this lil bugger today. It was my very first cull and at first we thought it was just to yoke sac...but we went to move it to be in a safe place since the other chicks are hatching and turned it over to see this...its obviously looks like intestines are out but what else...when I pick it up it started to bleed really bad. My hubby agreed it was the most humane thing to do...

In an effort to learn more as I am still new to this chicken stuff I have a few questions:

What causes this to occur?

What else is outside its body?

Its been extremely hot & humid here so I did have trouble getting the humidity lower...I use a Lil Giant Still Air Incubator from TSC. The temp was stable. I DO NOT ASSIST in any way with the chicks coming out of the egg. I think nature should take its course and it needs to get out of the egg all by itself. Sadly, I did not want to see the little thing suffer either...so I culled it.

Thanks for any help or information you can provide me...

Did the chick hatch itself? If so, I'm not sure why it was like that. But if you took it out of the egg, it may not have developed enough. When the chick is in the egg, it's intestines and stomach and stuff are outside of its body. Before it hatches it brings all of that stuff into a hole in its body, so if it wasn't ready to hatch that would explain why it's stomach and intestines and stuff were out. I'm afraid that's all I know! Sorry! :p

Yes it hatched all by itself...I dont assist at all...I know its hard to not want to help but this lil bugger popped all on his own...it was a shipped egg and I have read sometimes that makes things hinky....Thanks for the info...

did it have the yolk attached when it hatched? and if it did, was there any shell attached to the yolk? sometimes the yolk can still be attached to the chick and bits of the shell, as the chick starts to move it drags the yolk and shell and that pulls out it's intestines. No idea what else is attached I'm afraid. I've seen this happen to lambs when the mother pulls at the umbilical while licking them, the best thing to do is to cull them. You did the right thing. Are the others okay?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom