Bad news?

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of being late by 30 minutes to put the geese away. During this time the geese have somehow— vanished. Usually they’d run back to the pen themselves or sit on the porch until someone comes out as part of their routine. Last night, at 10PM, I went out and they were nowhere. Myself and two others spent an hour searching our property and there seems to be no sign at all of them.

My first suspicion was the river but, theres both no tracks back there and they already won’t go in unless I’m out deep enough for them to feel safe.

Next, I suspected predators; however, there’s no feathers and I highly doubt a raccoon would manage to kill three ~2 month old goslings who are running around 3acres of property. One, maybe, but three? No coyotes or foxes either. Mink— maybe, but same as the raccoon applies.

I’ve checked my neighbours property and the marsh alongside our property but there is— nothing. They typically answer to “hi”, “honk”, and or someone whistling, very enthusiastically but there’s been nothing.

On the other side of our property is a 15ft ditch that they likely wouldn’t be able to access and I’ve already checked.

I’m so confused where they could have gone to in a 30 minute span when they already are so unwilling to navigate the property on their own and always stay up at the main house until 9PM. They’re definitely a little “bird brained” but can’t be that dumb, right?

So, that’s where I’m currently at. Getting a boat soon enough to check the river just in case but I highly doubt they’re there. They hate sprinklers even and only willingly swim in their pool so… I’m lost. Too dumbfounded to even feel sad, really.

But I did get some cute pictures yesterday, at least. F27B8C7C-F5FB-4821-9FF9-EB9E9C3948B9.jpeg 6E98E915-6E32-4634-AB90-30949AC5F7EA.jpeg F503D812-3E3D-4B95-AE4C-8F3025F6778D.jpeg 6B876C1A-E8FE-425A-9853-256BA84C6F53.jpeg C65482A0-9C32-425E-9739-8CEF733AF199.jpeg 054A726E-A19D-426A-93C7-296313725E8A.jpeg

oh no how sad is this. I hope you find them !!
so either they walked away by themselves or someone took them. since there's no signs of a fight the only predator that could possibly have taken them is a human and i dont think theyd be easy to catch anyway. I hope they just come running back when you call! looking up and down and around river is very good idea.

oh no how sad is this. I hope you find them !!
so either they walked away by themselves or someone took them. since there's no signs of a fight the only predator that could possibly have taken them is a human and i dont think theyd be easy to catch anyway. I hope they just come running back when you call! looking up and down and around river is very good idea.
Yeah! Tried looking the river just now but there is, again, no signs! They never venture into our front yard where the road is and have a very specific spot behind our garage they eat. Otherwise— they’re in their pool. It’s so confusing! It’s as if they quite literally disappeared.

Do you have bobcats on your property? We had one wipe out our turkey flock (roughly 1 a night until even the one roosting up under our deck was snagged) with hardly any evidence besides missing birds and a chance spotting of it during meal time in the middle of the whole fiasco
I lost three of my sweet geese and my first drake to a coydogl He also carried them off with no signs. The only reason I knew what the culprit was is because it was stalking the property and he left the intact body of one of my poor babies behind but tried to came back for her later.

I lost three of my sweet geese and my first drake to a coydogl He also carried them off with no signs. The only reason I knew what the culprit was is because it was stalking the property and he left the intact body of one of my poor babies behind but tried to came back for her later.
whats a coydog? is that a combination of coyote and dog?

whats a coydog? is that a combination of coyote and dog?
Yeah. They coyote in question looked like an average coyote but it was a head taller than a German shepherd. A few years after the fact I found out there’s someone in my town who breeds wolves, coyotes, coy wolves, and coy dogs and I’m pretty sure what I saw was one of their “creations.”

Do you have bobcats on your property? We had one wipe out our turkey flock (roughly 1 a night until even the one roosting up under our deck was snagged) with hardly any evidence besides missing birds and a chance spotting of it during meal time in the middle of the whole fiasco
Nope! None! All three just vanished within 30 minutes. There is no sign of anything anywhere. We’ve had constant bad thunderstorms last night and tonight as well. Nothing good.

Back
Top Bottom