bad roo/terrified hen ***update hen died***

yellowchickensmomma

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
I have a recently added a BO roo to my 22 hens. He was a gift from a friend. This roo has mated with my BO hen as far as I know Friday was the first time. Today she has hidden from the roo under the barn.
hide.gif
She wouldn't come out for a treat and when she finally came out he attacked her again. DS chased him off. I know this is apart of what they do but she is my baby. Her poo has is kind of runny with some green.
How long will she be afraid and do I need to do anything for shock?

Last edited:
I am assuming that this rooster is the first with your girls. Roosters can be horribly mean. I have seen them brutal with hens to the point that I couldn't keep them. This was usually from one of the mediterian breeds that are naturally more flighty and occurred with multiple roos around. When you find your hens heads almost completely free of feathers and full of blood, its time to get rid of him. The only way I would keep a roo such as this is if it was my only roo and was valuable, but I would keep him confined until I expected something from him and I would supervise his work, but just assuming your rooster was only doing his intended purpose, my belief is that she simply was freaked out by the encounter and you have a choice to either having non-fertile eggs or having the possibility of a next generation. If she is just scared, but uninjured, you might give her some time to get used to having a huge golden male around. Buffs, being as they are gentle, by nature.....I would think he mated, but didn't do it viciously. Have you witnessed him mounting your hens?

No its just her. I guess because she is the only one who is of egg laying age. He keeps such a tight hold on her. She has changed the place she sleeps and he keeps his eyes on her like crazy.

Maybe he is getting at her too much, especially if she is the only one. He needs more than one hen.

Quote:
This is the truth. If she is the only one of age, she is being overbred. I would seperate him from the girls until they are older. Rooster detention for him.

How long has her poo not been right? Did you quarantine the roo first? It sounds like she may be feeling ill as well as not liking him much.
I'd get him out of there until the other girls are of breeding age.

I came home early Friday from work> I went to let them out and my poor hen was laying on the floor. I just cried and cried. I made my husband get rid of the rooster.

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry you lost your hen.

Did you quarantine the rooster at all before putting him in with the hens? I guess we all have hard lessons to learn. Maybe next time, keep the rooster separated from the hens, but they can see each other and not touch.

Take care of yourself.

Back
Top Bottom