Bad rooster ????To Cull or not to Cull????

Should I cull the rooster?

• Total voters
I'll also ask how old is he? There is a difference in expected behaviors between an immature cockerel and a mature rooster.

I'll also ask how much room do you have, in the coop and in the run? Was the run accessible? Often behavioral problems are due to lack of space.

Was he only chasing one chick (the Delaware) or was it pretty much all of them at random? Sometimes a chicken will take an instant dislike to one specific chicken and be fine with all the others.

What you did isn't that far off from the way I do it. My brooder is in the coop so the chicks basically grow up with the flock from Day 1, not starting at 4 weeks. I generally leave the brooder door open at five weeks, not six. I would have expected two weeks to be enough for you. I've never had a mature flock master rooster bother a chick, but others say they have. Maybe I've just been lucky. Occasionally a hen will be a bit of a problem, a juvenile cockerel can also be, but it's never been the adult rooster. I've never lost a chick doing it my way to another adult. I've lost them to siblings, once when they were two weeks old, the other when cockerels were about 15 weeks old, but never to an adult. Both times pecking to the head and neck areas.

I have the climate and enough room that the adults pretty much stay out of the coop all day, except when hens come to the coop to lay eggs or when they are going to bed. Usually when I open that brooder door the chicks stay in the coop for the next couple of days before they venture outside. After they start going outside they pretty much spend all day every day outside themselves, but usually far away from the adults. By far away I mean thirty or forty feet, not five or ten.

I'm going through all this to say I don't see that you did anything that different to what I would have done. I don't know how mature he is or how much room you have, that may make a difference. I wasn't there watching so I don't know which chicken it was, assuming it was a chicken and not a rat or something like that. To me it sounds like it probably was another chicken.

If it was a mature rooster I did the wring the neck thing when I was a kid on the farm. I'd heard about it so I tried it. I swung the chicken in about two full circles to get the speed up and then snapped my wrist. The head came off in my hand, I didn't expect that. After that I went back to the ax and stump method. My curiosity was satisfied.

Good Luck, and I would give him another chance.

as far as letting a broody raise chicks - it should work out better, assuming momma hen is a good momma hen. We have a momma hen who has done a good job adopting shocks we have bought from a hatchery. She and chicks are separated in a brooder in the barn, and allowed in run, separated by a fence. Then, they eventually get to mingle. This broody has protected our current chicks pretty well, an daytime integration is going well. Of course, they are still sleeping in the brooder with momma, but will be kicked out in the next week or two. Then the REAL integration will occur at roosting time!

Enjoy your chicks!

10 months. Right in that in-between age. Most cockerels I've had were mature enough at 10 months to be OK but I've had a very few that weren't quite there yet. I'd try him again when I could really observe. maybe the week-end? Nothing wrong with waiting longer either.

I’ll give him some more time to adjust. When he walks into the coop and sees the chick in the pen but up against the wire he does try to get them. Not sure if that’s a bad sign or what? It does strike me as he goes into intruder mode.
Also coop is 9x16 with a roughly 2000sqft of run space for 10 chooks so plenty of room.

@aart me grabbing him and pinning him down has not affected his behavior towards me that I can tell anyways.

I guess it could be the “red stars” but I think it is unlikely. They do not take well to new members, to the point that once these 5 are done I won’t be getting others. Kinda of the bullies if you want to call a chicken that.

I wouldn't keep him, at that age he should at most be an annoyance to the chicks but not much else.
If I can't trust one with the babies then he can't stay, he's counter productive to the flock not to mention a strain on the nerves.
Just my opinion though, i'm not too forgiving when the harmony is disrupted to that extent and I have to worry.

As long as you haven't seen real aggression towards the chicks, I would observe his behavior.
Maybe it wasn't him, or maybe it was and the injury was more severe than the attack should have warranted and he didn't mean to cause so much damage.
In the end, it is up to you. If you feel uncomfortable with him now, there might be a better rooster out there for you.

Here is something else I noticed. When the hens walk in the chicks don’t seem to mind so much but when mr roo walks by they run and hide. If it wasn’t for me to start breeding him with my Lavender chicks that are currently 2-3 weeks old down the road i think he would have been gone already.
@Chickassan i don’t rest easy with him now around small chicks. I could also solve that with only introducing older chicks. I will say if a hen does go broody and he attacks that will be it. Glad he didn’t get a female Delaware chick or he may also have departed already.

Back
Top Bottom