Bad rooster ????To Cull or not to Cull????

Should I cull the rooster?

• Total voters

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
First let me start by saying that i am well aware it’s my fault and I feel bad as it is. So I let out the roughly 6 week olds with the flock today. I left the door open I should say. They were in the main coop with everyone else but separated by wire with small openings to go in and out. I watched at first and while the rooster has been chasing the chicks down it was mostly grab and let go. I also grabbed him one time to try and show him that what he was doing was not so nice. The hens were overall pretty good with the chicks. So I went to the in-laws for dinner and came home to find a male Delaware missing. He was hidden under the nesting boxes so I grabbed him to take him out. The back of his neck had been basically skinned :eek:. I ended up culling the chick. I nearly grabbed the rooster and snapped his neck right then and there. So now I am here writing to you all for your input and experiences. I suspect it is the rooster but I did not see it happen.
So is he a bad rooster and should be culled? Or is he just doing his job as a rooster? I would hope in the future to be able to let broody hens raise chicks with the flock but now I am not sure that will work out. Advice advice advice please. The rooster may be on the dinner table come the weekend pending responses. By the way a few weeks ago I sold my black orp roo and kept the lavender roo that are shown in my avatar maybe I got rid of the wrong one.

Has this rooster seen chicks before? Without actually seeing what happened you can't assume it was just the rooster. Some roosters will chase and peck chicks. Hens can be even worse. I wouldn't necessarily jump to any conclusions yet. Observe the birds when the chicks are out. It generally takes me a week or two before I feel comfortable leaving newly integrating chicks alone loose in the flock.

Has this rooster seen chicks before? Without actually seeing what happened you can't assume it was just the rooster. Some roosters will chase and peck chicks. Hens can be even worse. I wouldn't necessarily jump to any conclusions yet. Observe the birds when the chicks are out. It generally takes me a week or two before I feel comfortable leaving newly integrating chicks alone loose in the flock.
I do not believe he has seen chicks before

I have multiple roosters. When I integrate chicks some rooster are curious, some indifferent, and others will chase them.

Generally after a week or two it's mostly just get out of my way pecks.

Your rooster may have gone into intruder mode. He may be totally different when a hen hatched and than protects her chicks. I personally wouldn't cull if otherwise he's a good rooster without actual proof, and that it's done repeatedly.

It's best to back off and integrate more slowly and observe all interactions. Lock chicks back up when you can't watch them to prevent this from happening again until you feel more comfortable and chicks know where to go to escape adults.

They were in the main coop with everyone else but separated by wire with small openings to go in and out.
Had the small doors been open? Had the chicks ventured out, and back in, before?

I do not believe he has seen chicks before
How long had the chicks been in the coop.....he could see them thru the mesh barrier, correct?

Not sure what advice to give, except maybe isolate the cock while the chicks integrate.

Had the small doors been open? Had the chicks ventured out, and back in, before?

How long had the chicks been in the coop.....he could see them thru the mesh barrier, correct?

Not sure what advice to give, except maybe isolate the cock while the chicks integrate.
Small doors were open, chicks in and out. They would come out when the big ones were outside and hurry back in when rooster would come in.Almost 2 weeks in main coop with see thru area.

2 weeks isn't too long...might take longer.
I wouldn't wring the big guys neck yet.
Hang in there.

When I put chicks in the coop, before tiny doors are opened, all the flock comes and peeks thru the wire wall to see who's over there. I usually wait for 3 weeks before opening doors.

[QUOTE:aart]I wouldn't wring the big guys neck.[/QUOTE] Always wanted to try Cervical dislocation figured I wouldn’t feel bad if I got it wrong on him. ;) Once I settled down I figured it was really my fault in the end.

How old is the rooster?

I know when I integrated 4 females to the group of three with one boy, the girls were and still are the issue. The boy was running ragged breaking up fights. One day he just plopped down and looked at me like you take over...lol

Once I settled down I figured it was really my fault in the end.

Just another learning curve, you'll figure it out.
Hopefully your grabbing him didn't set back your 'relationship' with him.
I'd spend some extra time nearby him while holding a chick.
Have a story about a similar situation...can't type it all out now tho.

Back
Top Bottom