Bad Rooster

You're the only one who can decide how much nonsense you're willing to put up with from your rooster. If you have small children who are out and about with the chickens, I wouldn't keep him.

Sometimes I think people put too much stock into a rooster protecting the flock. Sure, some do. Some will take on a predator and scare it away. Some will take on a predator and die for their efforts. (No way can a rooster fend off a dog, coyote, fox or other large predator.) Sometimes they're only a speed bump for the predator as it will still kill hens after it kills the rooster. Some will lead the charge to a hiding place, others will be a distraction. But there are flocks of hens only who manage to free range just fine. I have read that often a dominant hen will keep watch if there is no rooster in the flock. If your rooster dies defending the flock, then where are they? Still roosterless, just like they would be if you got rid of the one you have.

There is nothing wrong with getting rid of a rooster (or hen, for that matter) if it doesn't fit into your flock, help you meet your flock goals, or you just don't like a particular bird. You are the keeper of the chickens, so you get to decide what's going to be in your flock.

Thank you for the advice. This
Before getting rid of your rooster, I would give him an attitude adjustment. There was an article somewhere on this site where a lady recommended getting a hold of the rooster by cornering him in a coop, holding him securely under your arm, and then take your nail and peck him on the top of the head with your finger. Chickens have a pecking order and when you do this, you become the big, bad rooster and he will learn to respect you. You may have to do this more than once. I tried this with one of my roosters who started attacking me and it worked! It took two times of me cornering him, holding him under my left arm, and pecking him on his hard skull with my right hand. It's a fun experiment, actually! :)
we tried working with him and he just was relentless unfortunately and we couldn’t enjoy the hens without him harassing us. It is now delightful to sit with the hens with no threats. Thank u for the advice though!

You're the only one who can decide how much nonsense you're willing to put up with from your rooster. If you have small children who are out and about with the chickens, I wouldn't keep him.

Sometimes I think people put too much stock into a rooster protecting the flock. Sure, some do. Some will take on a predator and scare it away. Some will take on a predator and die for their efforts. (No way can a rooster fend off a dog, coyote, fox or other large predator.) Sometimes they're only a speed bump for the predator as it will still kill hens after it kills the rooster. Some will lead the charge to a hiding place, others will be a distraction. But there are flocks of hens only who manage to free range just fine. I have read that often a dominant hen will keep watch if there is no rooster in the flock. If your rooster dies defending the flock, then where are they? Still roosterless, just like they would be if you got rid of the one you have.

There is nothing wrong with getting rid of a rooster (or hen, for that matter) if it doesn't fit into your flock, help you meet your flock goals, or you just don't like a particular bird. You are the keeper of the chickens, so you get to decide what's going to be in your flock.
Thank you so much for the encouragement! He is gone and it’s much nicer to be with the hens now!

In case anyone is interested, there is a short story about a bad rooster called "Sugar Among the Chickens " by Louis Nordan. It was in Harper's many years ago and is also in a short story collection. This kid likes fishing for his family's chickens. He particularly wants to catch the rooster. He uses the cat for bait...

As others have said, get rid of him. You also don't want to be breeding an aggressive bird. The hens are fully capable of taking care of themselves.

In my experience roosters definitely can have individual personalities, and they can change with age, often for the worse. At times I've had more than one, with plenty of hens, and all of the roos got along fine while they were young, but at around 2 years of age one got really aggressive to the other roo, to the point where he spent all his time hiding in a nest box and was mercilessly attacked if he came out. My most recent roo was a New Hampshire Red, actually a sexing mistake since they were all supposed to be pullets. When he got about 2 years old, he turned mean, drew blood on me. Plus even with 15 hens, he was an aggressive mater and most of them had bare backs. I got rid of him. I don't raise meat birds, and although I love to hatch my own chicks, I don't because I know I'll wind up with a lot of roosters. And even heavy breed roosters (i.e., ones that aren't broilers) are mostly bone.

Wow, the wattles on that guy.:)
A mean rooster will not change. I had a very mean rooster named Cody. He would give me the "look" and then attack. I had to have a stick or boots on so I could keep him at bay or kick him back. One day I had the dog by my side when Cody attacked. That was the last move he ever made. Moki didn't like him trying to hurt me and grabbed him. He ran away into the hills with Cody and I never saw him again. (Cody, I still have Moki) I wasn't sad either. GET RID OF THE ROOSTER! If he is young enough you can eat him!
:rant

This is Cody's "look".
View attachment 1772026

I now have a beautiful and extremely gentle rooster named Harvey. He is a Jersey Giant, 18 inches tall and wouldn't hurt a fly!

Back
Top Bottom