!!!!Baffled! Broody duck had eggs, now none!???

That's the one predator I can't find a way to keep out and its the active season for them.
Yes we do have some pretty big ones from eastern diamondbacks to racer and coach whips. I just find it so strange they wouldn’t make a huge scene. I feel so sad for her.
Yep even had one try and eat my Cochin bantam all he managed to do was get her head and neck down enough to kill her. We did get that one boy that was sad to find that little pullet.
I had a 6’ blk snake eat all the eggs under my chicken so I agree snake . Very sorry.
They can actually eat them from under them??? I would think they would make such a huge scene if something were in there taking them or just endangering them. They are quite the talkers

Evidently, she got away. She was a tiny Old English Game Bantam she had 8 eggs and he got them all at once. I finally put her inside the little coop where nothing could get inside. I had to give her her daughter's egg though. Since all of hers were eaten.

I did read once on BYC where someone said the snake did eat the eggs out from under their hen.

Blk snakes are our eggs eaters and they have tried a few times to even eat a duckling or a chick. Chick didn't make it but I caught the snake with the duckling and saved the duckling.

Sad for you and your two ducks. It was remarkable that they were tag-teaming care for the nest.

I could not exclude snakes from my coop [although I have an all drake flock] and my son could not exclude them from his [he has all females]
Thank you. This is just so crazy to me. I would think they would quack about it if something was trying to get their babies but it has to be something. No way 6 eggs can just go missing. So sad for her.
Evidently, she got away. She was a tiny Old English Game Bantam she had 8 eggs and he got them all at once. I finally put her inside the little coop where nothing could get inside. I had to give her her daughter's egg though. Since all of hers were eaten.

I did read once on BYC where someone said the snake did eat the eggs out from under their hen.

Blk snakes are our eggs eaters and they have tried a few times to even eat a duckling or a chick. Chick didn't make it but I caught the snake with the duckling and saved the duckling.
this is completely crazy to me but it’s been a couple days and there’s nothing so moving her nest and trying to get her to stop brooding/laying there all day.

Thank you. This is just so crazy to me. I would think they would quack about it if something was trying to get their babies but it has to be something. No way 6 eggs can just go missing. So sad for her.

this is completely crazy to me but it’s been a couple days and there’s nothing so moving her nest and trying to get her to stop brooding/laying there all day.
It is weird they didn't raise s fuss. I'm so sorry!

My ducks and chickens share a coop, and my chickens have rolled duck eggs into their nests when they're broody, but that doesn't sound like what's happened in your case. Maybe it was late and you didn't hear them?

It’s
It is weird they didn't raise s fuss. I'm so sorry!

My ducks and chickens share a coop, and my chickens have rolled duck eggs into their nests when they're broody, but that doesn't sound like what's happened in your case. Maybe it was late and you didn't hear them?
It is very likely. I’m a very light sleeper and they are literally 10 feet from my front door and I live in a camper but anything is possible. Thank you for all of your help.

I’ve seen a 6’ blk snake slither through my ducks property and everyone stood stalk still never making a sound. Giving the snake a wide birth. I’m not sure but I think in the case here when the snake got these eggs mama hen just got out of the way fast as she could.

Back
Top Bottom