!!!!Baffled! Broody duck had eggs, now none!???

Tiltom

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2021
This is day 4 of broody duck Tater Tot and maybe broody duck Feather Locklear. I went to go mark her eggs this morning bc she has not been off of her nest only to find NO eggs!! There were 5 or 6 eggs that I could see on day 1 & 2, I'm sure she had more buried. I am baffled. I feel bad bc I did mess the nest up a little bit to try to dig to find them, but I found absolutely nothing. My 2 hens have been taking turns when one gets off the nest the other one takes over and the main mama Tater Tot never leaves for more than a stretch, a nibble and a sip of water. I have a dog that protects and guards them 24/7 and a drake that stands watch right outside their nesting area. I have a really hard time believing that a predator got in there and took all of the eggs since over the last year I have never had one single issue bc of my dog. Plus they have not left that nest to have a predator even approach them, they would make a commotion and my dog would take care of it. Can they just be hiding them sooo well that I can't find them? And if they are hiding them so deep how are the eggs getting heat? I'm so confused. I dug down into the dirt and I can't even find one single egg. I hate to have them sitting on a nest 20-21 hours a day when there's nothing there but where did they go!?? I can't think about anything else right now, I'm just baffled.

Sad for you and your two ducks. It was remarkable that they were tag-teaming care for the nest.

I could not exclude snakes from my coop [although I have an all drake flock] and my son could not exclude them from his [he has all females]

Last edited:
It’s
It is weird they didn't raise s fuss. I'm so sorry!

My ducks and chickens share a coop, and my chickens have rolled duck eggs into their nests when they're broody, but that doesn't sound like what's happened in your case. Maybe it was late and you didn't hear them?
It is very likely. I’m a very light sleeper and they are literally 10 feet from my front door and I live in a camper but anything is possible. Thank you for all of your help.

Sad for you and your two ducks. It was remarkable that they were tag-teaming care for the nest.

I could not exclude snakes from my coop [although I have an all drake flock] and my son could not exclude them from his [he has all females]
It’s so sad. I was so happy for them!

Thank you. This is just so crazy to me. I would think they would quack about it if something was trying to get their babies but it has to be something. No way 6 eggs can just go missing. So sad for her.
Evidently, she got away. She was a tiny Old English Game Bantam she had 8 eggs and he got them all at once. I finally put her inside the little coop where nothing could get inside. I had to give her her daughter's egg though. Since all of hers were eaten.

I did read once on BYC where someone said the snake did eat the eggs out from under their hen.

Blk snakes are our eggs eaters and they have tried a few times to even eat a duckling or a chick. Chick didn't make it but I caught the snake with the duckling and saved the duckling.
this is completely crazy to me but it’s been a couple days and there’s nothing so moving her nest and trying to get her to stop brooding/laying there all day.

Back
Top Bottom