Bagging up Peacock for travel

I wasn't trying to be a smart alec and def. no apology needed...I really am glad to see this info. again.
I recently needed to move some this way and... since I had done it before years ago but also suffer from CRS was glad to find the info here from last year ( recently before this similar thread showed up again) in order to get it right, lol.
Have BOTH threads bookmarked now !
It worked well...do appreciate the q and a on this subject here and the pics. are great !

I have sold my 3 year old Peacock, Mozart. Hooray! I have agreed to meet the buyer half way since she lives so far away which will mean
I will drive about 2 1/2 hours and transfer him to her and the cages that she brings for him. I don't want any mishaps of having him escape
during the transfer from my cage to hers (since we will be outdoors somewhere in the open) so I thought I might try the bagging technique
to keep him secure. I've never done it before. I've read about it and talked about it before on this forum...but I am a bit nervous about
actually doing it.

Question: If I use a cleaned out feed bag with a corner cut out for his head..and secure his feet with masking tape...and secure the open end
of the bag with tape as well...should he be safe and sound? Will he be really uncomfortable? Is it treating him cruelly or will he be just fine???

Any experience in doing this? Any suggestions or advice will be sooooo appreciated!
The Yearling peacock and 2-year-old hen that I just bought and transported about 1 hour away, I transported them in pillow cases- with the corner cut out for their heads. They were also in a dog crate in case they got out. They did not make a peep or move about the entire ride they were super calm. FYI I didn't put any tape on them or tie their feet.

I have sold my 3 year old Peacock, Mozart. Hooray! I have agreed to meet the buyer half way since she lives so far away which will mean
I will drive about 2 1/2 hours and transfer him to her and the cages that she brings for him. I don't want any mishaps of having him escape
during the transfer from my cage to hers (since we will be outdoors somewhere in the open) so I thought I might try the bagging technique
to keep him secure. I've never done it before. I've read about it and talked about it before on this forum...but I am a bit nervous about
actually doing it.

Question: If I use a cleaned out feed bag with a corner cut out for his head..and secure his feet with masking tape...and secure the open end
of the bag with tape as well...should he be safe and sound? Will he be really uncomfortable? Is it treating him cruelly or will he be just fine???

Any experience in doing this? Any suggestions or advice will be sooooo appreciated!
I have a question for you or anyone that has had peas longer than me... I got my hen on 4/1/22 and she was in with 3 mature cocks and 2 other hens.
I have had her now a little over a month and she started laying again on 5/1.
On 5/2 I put the egg in the incubator not thinking anything would come of it but, I just candled the egg today and it seriously looks like their is a moving embryo in there. Is this impossible or am I just seeing things?? She has not been with a mature male since 4/1. Please any advise is welcome!

It is more common than people think, I have heard of many stories like yours. One from a known and trusted friend of mine that had a hen lay fertile eggs after brooding a clutch with no cock present a couple of months after the chicks hatched. However, this is not the norm and should never be counted on. The common opinion is sperm can be banked for only a couple of weeks, your hen held it for four which is not in the realm of impossible. I would expect that the cool weather had something to do with your situation.

It is more common than people think, I have heard of many stories like yours. One from a known and trusted friend of mine that had a hen lay fertile eggs after brooding a clutch with no cock present a couple of months after the chicks hatched. However, this is not the norm and should never be counted on. The common opinion is sperm can be banked for only a couple of weeks, your hen held it for four which is not in the realm of impossible. I would expect that the cool weather had something to do with your situation.
Thank you @KsKingBee that makes sense! I thought I was going crazy LOL. One more question if you don't mind... What are your thoughts on the Color of my yearling? The woman I purchased him from just said he was white but when I picked him up he has the white and black and its looks like an orange/ yellow around the neck. Thank you again for all the information! I really LOVE these birds and want to learn anything I possible can about them!

Attachments

• peacockwt1.jpg
    peacockwt1.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 2
Thank you @KsKingBee that makes sense! I thought I was going crazy LOL. One more question if you don't mind... What are your thoughts on the Color of my yearling? The woman I purchased him from just said he was white but when I picked him up he has the white and black and its looks like an orange/ yellow around the neck. Thank you again for all the information! I really LOVE these birds and want to learn anything I possible can about them!
I have been doing research and now I don't think that this pea is a yearling male but maybe a black shoulder hen. Unless there is another color mutation that looks like that? Goodness!

Back
Top Bottom