Baking chicken eggs shells

I find they eat them more readily if not baked. I tried both and as they are raw is much easier and seems more readily eaten. Maybe its the membrane or something. Like natJ I just crush them really well by hand into the scrap bin and feed them along with the other scraps. It's one of their favourite scraps to eat. Just make sure they don't remotely resemble an egg anymore. I've never had a hen that learned to eat eggs by making sure they are well crushed.

I am curious what do you mean by "you will need more than eggs shells though"? More in the oven or more to give the chickens? I am learning about all the process currently. My chickens arent laying yet but am going to start saving my bought egg shells. I assume I can just bake and store them in a mason jar or something until they are ready to eat them?
They need more calcium than the eggshells, like oyster shell.
If they're eating layer, they likely won't need supplement calcium.
Everybody feeds different since everybody's needs and environment is difficult.
Most people feed a higher protein feed, whether it's a high protein layer or a non layer with oyster shell.
I feed whatever higher protein feed my feed store has in-gamebird feed, chick feed, hi protein layer. I'm not picky. (Thankfully, neither are my birds.)

Thank You. Just trying to do research now so I am prepared. I am also hearing different things about Layer Feed vs all flock and allowing the girls to choose how much oyster shells they want. Some say it is better to allow them to choose on their own how much oyster shells they need rather then feeding them layer feed which may contain more then they need if they arent laying (winter, sick etc). Just reaching out to get opinions but it seems everyone has a different opinion.
A yup! It's about finding what works for you.

Not to make your head spin but I feed both layer and grower. In winter the birds mostly eat grower, maybe 70-30 vs layer, so more protein and less calcium. In spring and summer it's more like 60-40 or 55-45 (grower-layer) for a little more calcium. I have some birds that don't lay or lay very infrequently, so I like diluting the calcium down somewhat, but there's some that don't intake calcium either so having some layer in their diet helps with that. I would consider doing only all flock/grower however I have not found an all flock pellet that they like. I have both oyster shell and egg shell available.

A yup! It's about finding what works for you.

Not to make your head spin but I feed both layer and grower. In winter the birds mostly eat grower, maybe 70-30 vs layer, so more protein and less calcium. In spring and summer it's more like 60-40 or 55-45 (grower-layer) for a little more calcium. I have some birds that don't lay or lay very infrequently, so I like diluting the calcium down somewhat, but there's some that don't intake calcium either so having some layer in their diet helps with that. I would consider doing only all flock/grower however I have not found an all flock pellet that they like. I have both oyster shell and egg shell available.
Thank you I may switch it up some layer some all flock

Back
Top Bottom