Baking FOR my gals! What flour should i use to bake my chickens a warm bread-like treat?!

I do the same thing for my dogs, pulse their dog food in a food processor, mix with peanut butter and water, then bake! :D
Cute! This is what I did for my horses. All of the oat cake recipes I tried, they hated lol! They wouldn't eat any of it. I finally tried Timothy pellets soaked in water, molasses, ground flax seed, and something else I can't remember. They loved it!

You are so caring with your girls! But what they really love is raw fish guts, uncleaned.

You are so caring with your girls! But what they really love is raw fish guts, uncleaned.
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Here i am again asking you: What could i use instead of white flour if i wanted to bake the chickens some bread or a warm something??? It must be healthy and will not replace their feed. Thanks my chicken peeps! I love ya 🐓❤️
You could try whole wheat flour. (Wheat is used in some chicken foods, and whole wheat is in some scratch mixes.)

You can just add water to some chicken food. Chickens seem to love it, it is quick and easy, it is nutritionally balanced-- and you can serve it warm or cold, just by varying what water temperature you use, so it's great in winter or summer.

But if you want something easy to hold in your hand or carry in your pocket, then of course wet chicken food is NOT ideal! :lau

And if you enjoy baking things, then water + chicken feed might be too simple to be fun ;)

Cute! This is what I did for my horses. All of the oat cake recipes I tried, they hated lol! They wouldn't eat any of it. I finally tried Timothy pellets soaked in water, molasses, ground flax seed, and something else I can't remember. They loved it!
My dogs love it! Definitely going to try this with my ladies crumble ;)

Longer. Bake it longer.

I've had success with modifed goat and horse treat recipes. Whole wheat flours, rolled oats (small quantity), rye or buckwheat flours, pumperkickel, peanut butter or similar binder, dried fruit (cranberries can often be found sulfite free and at reasonable price), molasses as a sweetener. Makes a VERY stiff dough. Force into a shallow pan (or shape on thick aluminum foil) then bake till dry. Now keep baking. REALLY dry. Closer to an hour.

If there is any moisture in it, the cookies will be quicky colonized by molds and mildews. Not good eats. and since its a treat, you can't use it quickly unless you have a large flock. So it MUST be cooked to near deser quality - less than 10% moisture total.

Back
Top Bottom