Baking FOR my gals! What flour should i use to bake my chickens a warm bread-like treat?!

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Here i am again asking you: What could i use instead of white flour if i wanted to bake the chickens some bread or a warm something??? It must be healthy and will not replace their feed. Thanks my chicken peeps! I love ya šŸ“ā¤ļø

Attachments

• 09473457-224E-47F5-8F76-0BCC742E28C7.jpeg
    09473457-224E-47F5-8F76-0BCC742E28C7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 32
Here i am again asking you: What could i use instead of white flour if i wanted to bake the chickens some bread or a warm something??? It must be healthy and will not replace their feed. Thanks my chicken peeps! I love ya šŸ“ā¤ļø
You could try whole wheat flour. (Wheat is used in some chicken foods, and whole wheat is in some scratch mixes.)

You can just add water to some chicken food. Chickens seem to love it, it is quick and easy, it is nutritionally balanced-- and you can serve it warm or cold, just by varying what water temperature you use, so it's great in winter or summer.

But if you want something easy to hold in your hand or carry in your pocket, then of course wet chicken food is NOT ideal! :lau

And if you enjoy baking things, then water + chicken feed might be too simple to be fun ;)

Longer. Bake it longer.

I've had success with modifed goat and horse treat recipes. Whole wheat flours, rolled oats (small quantity), rye or buckwheat flours, pumperkickel, peanut butter or similar binder, dried fruit (cranberries can often be found sulfite free and at reasonable price), molasses as a sweetener. Makes a VERY stiff dough. Force into a shallow pan (or shape on thick aluminum foil) then bake till dry. Now keep baking. REALLY dry. Closer to an hour.

If there is any moisture in it, the cookies will be quicky colonized by molds and mildews. Not good eats. and since its a treat, you can't use it quickly unless you have a large flock. So it MUST be cooked to near deser quality - less than 10% moisture total.

I would probably just use crumble. I answered this question for someone else wanting to make cookies the other day as well. Cookies would probably be easiest. You can easily ration the amounts, and the dough is easier.
I would probably make a recipe that looked somewhat like this-

2-3c crumble feed
1/2c 100% natural unsalted peanut butter (peanut paste is even better since theres no preservatives. You want a peanut butter with no additives or preservatives)
4-8Tbl water

Something like the above to make a thick dough. Theres also this thread recipe for people that you could use- https://marisamoore.com/peanut-butter-banana-breakfast-cookies/
Maybe sub the oats for feed, or just do oats. I would avoid any sweetener though, so the oats, banana, and peanut butter is probably a good idea.

How long would you bake it?
Until it seemed somewhat hardened. 12-15 minuets at 350 degrees.
You could probably make some adjustments as well. Pumpkin puree instead of banana. Less sweet, more nutritious, and if you followed that recipe in the link, I bet it would turn out pretty darn good.
This is a fun thread. :D

I looked at the recipe:
1 cup feed/or oats, or both
banana (super ripe)
peanut butter (raw peanut butter or NO additives)
Oven to 350 till golden. Maybe 10-12 minutes.
I will be trying this. Thanks chicken friends!
šŸ“ā¤ļø
I think if i take the ā€˜dustā€™ left at bottom of their feed bowl and use that, then, no feed gets wasted. Hey maybe adding sunflower seeds too! Black oil ones of course! Huhā€¦. You can use anything i suppose!

I would probably just use crumble. I answered this question for someone else wanting to make cookies the other day as well. Cookies would probably be easiest. You can easily ration the amounts, and the dough is easier.
I would probably make a recipe that looked somewhat like this-

2-3c crumble feed
1/2c 100% natural unsalted peanut butter (peanut paste is even better since theres no preservatives. You want a peanut butter with no additives or preservatives)
4-8Tbl water

Something like the above to make a thick dough. Theres also this thread recipe for people that you could use- https://marisamoore.com/peanut-butter-banana-breakfast-cookies/
Maybe sub the oats for feed, or just do oats. I would avoid any sweetener though, so the oats, banana, and peanut butter is probably a good idea.
How long would you bake it?

Cute! This is what I did for my horses. All of the oat cake recipes I tried, they hated lol! They wouldn't eat any of it. I finally tried Timothy pellets soaked in water, molasses, ground flax seed, and something else I can't remember. They loved it!
My dogs love it! Definitely going to try this with my ladies crumble ;)

Back
Top Bottom