Bald butt and swollen below vent.

Pics
I read up on this and some of the terms used in the article, and I think this would explain it in the case of young chicks, but not necessarily hens. If you look up Bursa of Fabricius, it is an organ that is present and active in chicks and helps build their immune system. But it dwindles away as the bird ages. So it probably would not be swollen and palpable in an adult hen.
I'm following this with interest as all three of my year-old Black Copper-Cuckoo cross hens have this to varying degrees. I'm worried about their younger sisters.

for some reason this did not post in the right place - this was a reply to the post about leukosis...

My hen has the same thing. Balding belly and very squishy. Seems fine other tahn than that. I was reading some other threads that discribed this condition as ascites? It is fluids building up in her body, due to organ failure. I read some people can drian their chicken by basiclly poking holes in them. Not sure I am up to this task. My gal seems fine for now, so I will just have to keep my on her.

Two of my four chickens had this same thing. They were still active, eating, drinking and laying, so I decided just to keep an eye on them. three days ago I went out in the morning to check on the hens and one of them had died. Now the other one with the red, swollen butt is sick. She's listless, not eating or drinking. She is in the house with a heating pad and I bought her some tetracycline, which I've had to feed her with a syringe. I don't know if she'll make it through the night. Whatever this is, it is serious. Maybe some hens overcome it with their own immune systems, and others succumb to it. I don't know if it is a bacterial infection, virus, or something else, but I really wish I had started antibiotics earlier...

This is what my BO bottom looked like today when I let her out in the yard. I'm not sure if this is same thing as what has been described here.
I am really whimpy about stuff like this. It was slightly scabbed and there is a little blood. I held a warm compress to it and gently cleaned it. Her vent was clear. I am very distraught. Any thoughts

Thegirlsclub, that doesn't seem to be the same problem. I'm really not sure what that is, sorry. :(

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. My very favorite Red Star hen is doing the "penguin stance" and, though fully feathered around her bum, does have a large and slightly squishy bulge between her legs and vent.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the problem most of us seem to be having is Peritonitis. (Of course, I could be wrong.) I've been doing some research, and I found two very informational sites about the condition and why it happens.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PennysSurgery/PennysSurgery.html

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

It doesn't seem like something they are very likely to recover from. Penny was very fortunate. Since it seems most cases end in discomfort and death, I think I will do the kind thing and put Bernard out of her misery. Even if the mass can be removed, the problem is usually caused by a problem with the oviduct and will most likely recur.

Sometimes there isn't much we can do, but it doesn't make their lives worth any less. We loved them while they were healthy, and we'll love them even when they're gone.

i have a pullet that lost all her but feathers also.i have read on here that several people has also said that their chickens have lost their but feathers to.wonder whats up with this.

Okay, so it's either the cyst thing or peritonitis - both requiring surgery or the crossing of fingers... Grrr, looks like I'll be going from 8 hens down to seven VERY soon :( Shitty part is, mine that's got whichever of those two conditions is one of my layers that actually LAYS!

Has anybody managed to treat either of these conditions - successfully - at home? If so, how?

We're still under a bit of snow cover here so free-ranging has been out of the question for the past few weeks (they hate walking on snow, nevermind digging in it). They get their layer mash in the morning and fermented grain in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom