Bald Eagles

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
The past couple of weeks my husband & I kept hearing what sounded like an eagle, we looked up the closest nesting areas are about 10 miles away. Well, today I saw it! Just skating on the wind, it felt so wild to see it, but then of course this is a new issue to deal with. I have three guard geese that have kept all of my ducks and chickens safe from vultures and hawks....but an eagle? I don't really want to chance it. It would cost a pretty penny to enclose their pen with netting (and would netting be enough?) or would adding to the number of geese help be enough of a deterrent?

Their pen is covered by several larger trees, during the summer it's almost impossible to see the birds from above, but right now there's no leaf cover :/
I'd assume that would be fine... If there's not enough area for them to safely come down and swoop back up, I don't think an Eagle would come down. But I could be wrong... @RoosterWhisperer?

Eagles prey on geese, so I'd err on the side of caution and keep them as secure as possible, like in a covered run.

I've tried deterring hawks with shiny, reflective pieces of material and hanging DVDs, and they pretty much just laughed at me. 😂 And preyed on my chickens. 😠
Do you think netting would be enough? Their space is just too big and awkward to do anything more permanent like wire fencing overhead.

If you make it difficult for them to get down and up, they generally won't risk it. All bets are off with starving juveniles.

Things like fishing line strung between the trees can often deter birds of prey. Give your birds lots of cover to get under. I don't know what kind of eagles you are dealing with but bald eagles are a fish eagle. They are carrion eaters as well. They are also not very maneuverable in the air like a Coopers hawk.

If you make it difficult for them to get down and up, they generally won't risk it. All bets are off with starving juveniles.

Things like fishing line strung between the trees can often deter birds of prey. Give your birds lots of cover to get under. I don't know what kind of eagles you are dealing with but bald eagles are a fish eagle. They are carrion eaters as well. They are also not very maneuverable in the air like a Coopers hawk.
It was a bald eagle, it was close enough I could see the white head and dang was that bird massive!

——
Thanks y’all! Heavy duty aviary netting is a bit out of my budget at the moment, but I am getting some 2inch heavy knotted netting. Patching up any of the weird open areas we have and adding another large open shelter are priorities for me now.

Back
Top Bottom