Bald neck on Australorp for over 2 months...any ideas? Picture Included.

valley

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2015
My Black Australorp has been losing neck feathers for a few months now. She seems otherwise healthy and is eating and pooping fine. The rest of the flock are fine....no mites, fleas and the coop is kept clean. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and if I should be worried? The baldness is on both sides of her neck but nowhere else on her body.

That looks like feather picking by a flockmate. They do that sometimes while they are on the roost or just hanging out together, usually by a hen higher in the pecking order. You could try some Nustock cream or BluKote on the bare spots to see if it stops. Make sure they have plenty of room, at least 16 % protein in their layer feed,mand can get outside to roam every day.

That looks like feather picking by a flockmate. They do that sometimes while they are on the roost or just hanging out together, usually by a hen higher in the pecking order. You could try some Nustock cream or BluKote on the bare spots to see if it stops. Make sure they have plenty of room, at least 16 % protein in their layer feed,mand can get outside to roam every day.
She definitely is lower in the pecking order but I rarely see other hens peck at her. I have 10 hens and the coop is 8'x6' and the combined runs are 32'x24' & 14'x12'. Thats about 1,000 square feet or 100 sq feet per hen, which I think is ok. There is no free ranging anymore. We had a fox attack a couple of weeks ago and I was standing right with them so I dont dare let them out, even with supervision. I will get some cream and see if it helps.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I have several salmon faverolles hen and some ameraucanas who get pecked around the neck. It is frequently done by a "friend" and it usually doesn't get too severe. When feather picking happens around near the vent or gets severe drawing blood, then that can be dangerous. It sounds like you have a good amount of room.

Back
Top Bottom