Bales of pine shavings

chicken995

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Northern Colorado
How many do I need to cover an 8 X 12 (that's 96 sq. ft.) coop? The bales that I get are 3 cubic feet compressed and expand to 5 cubic feet. Filling the coop for the first time. Any guesses would be appreciated.

my coop is 4 x 8 and my bales are 2.5 cf and it says it expands to 8.0 cf. I use all of it when I do the coop. I have to pad it up on one end because I have 2 ladies that refuse to use the ladder. They are so scared to get down, they fly and it's not far enough for a smooth landing. So I really have it deeper at that end. Need to work on training them on my vacation to use the ladder? Hope I can do that??

I would try 1 bale and see how it goes (it will give you about a 3" cover of litter), you may not like having to clean that mess up plus buying a bale of chips every time you clean the coop. It gets to be expensive maintainance and then you have to dispose of them too

It depends so much on how deep you want your bedding.

I find that if I'm bedding a new pen (i.e. it was bare floor) then I use about half a bale for a 4x6 pen. But I bed deepish to start with, so YMMV.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I would guess about 2 bales,my coop is 8x8 and use 11/2 bales of the same size and add as needed. In the winter I go heavier because my coop is raised and like it a little deeper to fend off the cold .

Back
Top Bottom