Bananas 70 cents a lb.

Uggh..remind to only visit Alaska and not let the DH talk us all into moving there like he'd like to! LOL!!! No way could I afford that.

Hey, I thought if you grew a banana tree, you were picking fruit that year? I dunno, I dunno much about banana trees! Tried to grow some once, but failed miserably!

Stacy

Quote:
I DO NOT miss those prices!!! Once while living there my hubby and I decided we wanted some cherries....checked and they were a little over $8 a pound!!!
th.gif
Needless to say, we went without cherries!!!

I think I paid 48 cents/lbs the last bunch I bought.

My 2 yr old used to eat a banana every single day. Now he is past that phase and won't touch them. I won't be buying any for a while. LOL

I DO NOT miss those prices!!! Once while living there my hubby and I decided we wanted some cherries....checked and they were a little over $8 a pound!!!
th.gif
Needless to say, we went without cherries!!!

Yeah, they had cherries in the store recently for about that price. The next day they were on "sale" at $3.99/pound.​

Chiquita reported some poor numbers and cited several concerns in its' earning report a few days ago.

"CQB is fetching higher prices for its bananas but is also grappling with supply constraints for bananas due to bad weather in Central America and Ecuador. On top of that, the company is paying more for bunker fuel, fertilizers and higher-quality fruit."

Usually when one fresh fruit producer reports problems they all react the same way. And that, usually is to increase margins by raising prices.

Between .79 and .99 a pound. Some stores sell them by the banana. I don't remember the cost per at Trader Joe's but they're .79 each at the gas station. That's less than a small bag of chips, about the same as a candy bar and much better.

Back in 1983 my mom told us we couldn't afford bananas anymore so now that I'm grown I buy them whenever I see some that look good.

Back
Top Bottom