Bantam chick injured by other chicks

I only see 4:D 1 looks like a cockerel. Cute chicks, they will grow quickly so it's good you have a grow out pen ready for them.

Yup! 3 girls and 2 boys, the injured boy is in the house. Getting extra care and being around everyone in the house to get him a little more socialized. He was with mother hen too long and hes very mean and screams when i try to hold him. I'm going to try my best to make him a little easier to handle

Last edited:
Some chickens never get accustomed to handling, they hate it, so he may end up being one of those.
Start out by getting him more used to you. Sit next to his cage and just talk to him. Offer little tid bits of his favorite treat. Get him to where he will come to you and hand feed, then slowly begin to touch him. See if that works better.

As for being mean....what does he do that is mean?

This same incident happen with my chicks when I have them it happens cause I use a shoe box for their home and they don't have space to fun . for wound I clean the wound with cotton and water and applied neomycin ointment it heal quickly then I applied some vesaline for few days

Some chickens never get accustomed to handling, they hate it, so he may end up being one of those.
Start out by getting him more used to you. Sit next to his cage and just talk to him. Offer little tid bits of his favorite treat. Get him to where he will come to you and hand feed, then slowly begin to touch him. See if that works better.

As for being mean....what does he do that is mean?

He bites kind of aggressively. I guess not mean, just seems mean the way he screams and bites. I will go slow with him. I'm just hoping he doesn't become a really nasty rooster in the future

He bites kind of aggressively. I guess not mean, just seems mean the way he screams and bites. I will go slow with him. I'm just hoping he doesn't become a really nasty rooster in the future

Remember that the only thing he has to defend himself with is his beak, and you're the giant monster who snatched him away from mom! :hmm

With the ones that don't appreciate the handling (but must be handled due to a big problem) - I have no problem letting them bite my finger- just don't move your finger when he does it. You're not afraid of chickee and anything he dishes out-- but if he learns that biting you makes you yank your hand away, that could very well turn into something else if you react to it. i.e. he sees a bite as a way to make your hand go away.

Once they get to that age I pick them up like an adult- holding them under the breastbone with the feet hanging loose. If they have something to push off of with their feet, that turns into more struggling.

You can always do a little washcloth chick burrito when it's time to treat him. Remember too he just had the **** pecked out of him- so something coming over the head is bound to be alarming.

I'm guessing chickee got in one of those little hopping chick "fights" and someone drew blood. Once blood is drawn, they'll all get in on the action. (my least favorite thing about chickens). Until all the scab etc. is gone, I would keep chickee separated.

BTW … Those really dark comb areas may well come off- chickee will be fine without them. Just won't have a full comb. They look pretty black in the pictures.

I thought id give an update, the purpleness in his face is gone and the feathers around his eye are coming back. I still don't know what to do about his comb... if its dead tissues will it just fall off by its self?
20180705_151600-1.jpg
20180705_151632-1.jpg
20180705_151850-1.jpg

I thought id give an update, the purpleness in his face is gone and the feathers around his eye are coming back. I still don't know what to do about his comb... if its dead tissues will it just fall off by its self?
View attachment 1456668 View attachment 1456669 View attachment 1456670

Yes, if it is indeed dead tissue (that's what it looks like to me) they'll just kinda fall off. I'd keep it clean with Vetricyn and a little Neosporin to keep any infection from starting, but otherwise one day they just won't be there. Had this happen to a hen a couple months back- just missing a couple notches on the comb permanently. =)

Back
Top Bottom