Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Ohio National pictures!! :D None of these birds are mine, of course, I was just admiring them. There's a ton. I maxed out the number of pictures I can put in one post, so I lost a couple pictures at the end and will have to do another post. :p

Anyway, here we go! :D Thumbnail size so I'm not totally hogging up the thread! :oops:

Ameraucana bantams; first Blue, then Silver, then Wheaten, all hens.

View attachment 1956004 View attachment 1956005 View attachment 1956006

Silver Double-Laced Barnevelder bantam hen :drool

View attachment 1956007

Call ducks!! There were lots of them, so I'll try to sort them by color, here. First three were Blue Bibbed (the two males seemed off-colored to me, though very pretty anyway)
View attachment 1956008 View attachment 1956013 View attachment 1956014

Blue Fawn female:
View attachment 1956009

Chocolate :drool I don't remember if this one was male or female, though :oops:
View attachment 1956010

Gray Pied male. These are both the same guy, he was pretty friendly :love
View attachment 1956011 View attachment 1956012

Silver female:
View attachment 1956015

Snowy female and male :love :love
View attachment 1956016 View attachment 1956017

Cochin bantams, all hens. :D First is a Blue Birchen, second is a frizzled Mottled, and third is a really gorgeous Splash. :love
View attachment 1956018 View attachment 1956019 View attachment 1956021

Wheaten Ko Shamo bantam hen. :eek: She looked like a dinosaur!!

View attachment 1956022

Dark Brown Leghorn bantam hen. :love She was too pretty!

View attachment 1956023

Modern Game bantams--y'all know I love these guys! Those legs!! :love Came super close to bringing some home, but I had to remind myself of my OEGB goals, which have priority, so I ended up passing on them this time. :p Oh, well.

Birchens; second picture is a cage with two trios that were for sale. :love :love I wanted them soooo badly!!
View attachment 1956024 View attachment 1956025

Brown Red females:
View attachment 1956026 View attachment 1956027 View attachment 1956028

Lemon Blue females:
View attachment 1956029 View attachment 1956030 View attachment 1956031 View attachment 1956032

Silver Blue female:
View attachment 1956033

Naked Neck bantams, another one I can't resist :oops: First is a Black female, second is a Blue female:

View attachment 1956034 View attachment 1956035

New Hampshire bantam hen. :love I'm quickly realizing I quite like these birds.

View attachment 1956036

OEGBs, another one I can't resist! :love :love First up is a Blue Golden Duckwing male, and a pair of Blue Reds that were in the show:

View attachment 1956037 View attachment 1956038 View attachment 1956039

Brown Red and Lemon Blue females :love :love That one Brown Red was super interested in my phone :love
View attachment 1956040 View attachment 1956041 View attachment 1956042

Silver Ginger (or was it Ginger Silver?) hen and Wheaten hen. The Wheaten was having none of my pleas for her to pose. :p
View attachment 1956043 View attachment 1956044

More Barred Plymouth Rock bantams. The boys weren't getting along. :p

View attachment 1956045 View attachment 1956046

Rosecomb bantams. I always forget how many varieties there are of Rosecombs. :love :love In order, this is a Black Breasted Red female, Blue Brassy Back female, Blue Golden Duckwing male, Blue Red male, and Buff Columbian female. The Buff Columbians all seemed super pale for buff birds, but it was a really pretty effect in my opinion. :love

View attachment 1956047 View attachment 1956048 View attachment 1956049 View attachment 1956050 View attachment 1956051

Sebrights! This is a Golden male and a Silver female. Just impossibly gorgeous! :love

View attachment 1956053 View attachment 1956054

Last picture that would fit in this post, a Black Silkied Serama hen. :love :love I just love silkied feathering.

View attachment 1956056
The Moderns are so cool! And the colors of the OEGBs are incredible. I really love the darkest features. Such deep coloring. I love the Brown Leghorn and all the Rosecombs!! Thanks so much for sharing. I’d love to go to that show someday!!

Ohio National pictures!! :D None of these birds are mine, of course, I was just admiring them. There's a ton. I maxed out the number of pictures I can put in one post, so I lost a couple pictures at the end and will have to do another post. :p

Anyway, here we go! :D Thumbnail size so I'm not totally hogging up the thread! :oops:

Ameraucana bantams; first Blue, then Silver, then Wheaten, all hens.

View attachment 1956004 View attachment 1956005 View attachment 1956006

Silver Double-Laced Barnevelder bantam hen :drool

View attachment 1956007

Call ducks!! There were lots of them, so I'll try to sort them by color, here. First three were Blue Bibbed (the two males seemed off-colored to me, though very pretty anyway)
View attachment 1956008 View attachment 1956013 View attachment 1956014

Blue Fawn female:
View attachment 1956009

Chocolate :drool I don't remember if this one was male or female, though :oops:
View attachment 1956010

Gray Pied male. These are both the same guy, he was pretty friendly :love
View attachment 1956011 View attachment 1956012

Silver female:
View attachment 1956015

Snowy female and male :love :love
View attachment 1956016 View attachment 1956017

Cochin bantams, all hens. :D First is a Blue Birchen, second is a frizzled Mottled, and third is a really gorgeous Splash. :love
View attachment 1956018 View attachment 1956019 View attachment 1956021

Wheaten Ko Shamo bantam hen. :eek: She looked like a dinosaur!!

View attachment 1956022

Dark Brown Leghorn bantam hen. :love She was too pretty!

View attachment 1956023

Modern Game bantams--y'all know I love these guys! Those legs!! :love Came super close to bringing some home, but I had to remind myself of my OEGB goals, which have priority, so I ended up passing on them this time. :p Oh, well.

Birchens; second picture is a cage with two trios that were for sale. :love :love I wanted them soooo badly!!
View attachment 1956024 View attachment 1956025

Brown Red females:
View attachment 1956026 View attachment 1956027 View attachment 1956028

Lemon Blue females:
View attachment 1956029 View attachment 1956030 View attachment 1956031 View attachment 1956032

Silver Blue female:
View attachment 1956033

Naked Neck bantams, another one I can't resist :oops: First is a Black female, second is a Blue female:

View attachment 1956034 View attachment 1956035

New Hampshire bantam hen. :love I'm quickly realizing I quite like these birds.

View attachment 1956036

OEGBs, another one I can't resist! :love :love First up is a Blue Golden Duckwing male, and a pair of Blue Reds that were in the show:

View attachment 1956037 View attachment 1956038 View attachment 1956039

Brown Red and Lemon Blue females :love :love That one Brown Red was super interested in my phone :love
View attachment 1956040 View attachment 1956041 View attachment 1956042

Silver Ginger (or was it Ginger Silver?) hen and Wheaten hen. The Wheaten was having none of my pleas for her to pose. :p
View attachment 1956043 View attachment 1956044

More Barred Plymouth Rock bantams. The boys weren't getting along. :p

View attachment 1956045 View attachment 1956046

Rosecomb bantams. I always forget how many varieties there are of Rosecombs. :love :love In order, this is a Black Breasted Red female, Blue Brassy Back female, Blue Golden Duckwing male, Blue Red male, and Buff Columbian female. The Buff Columbians all seemed super pale for buff birds, but it was a really pretty effect in my opinion. :love

View attachment 1956047 View attachment 1956048 View attachment 1956049 View attachment 1956050 View attachment 1956051

Sebrights! This is a Golden male and a Silver female. Just impossibly gorgeous! :love

View attachment 1956053 View attachment 1956054

Last picture that would fit in this post, a Black Silkied Serama hen. :love :love I just love silkied feathering.

View attachment 1956056
I’m suddenly glad I decided not to go :lau
My birds birds aren’t in good condition, and there are some definite beauties there.
And I probably would have come home with unneeded chickens :gig:confused:

Look at that! An LF and SF egg!! (Practicing the lingo!)
Beautiful!!
I can’t wait to eat a Bantam egg! Very excited! My girls are 18 weeks tomorrow! I’ve had their nest boxes all lined with a pretend egg in each for the last two weeks

:gig Nice job! :p

That first egg is always so exciting! :celebrate I hope it happens soon for you! The wait can feel like forever, but it's definitely worth it!

I read in a few places that when chickens are "teenagers" that they get a little flighty. Then once they start laying eggs, they calm back down again. This makes sense to me and I think I'm seeing it with a few of mine. But I also have a few who were flighty and nervous before and are now acting a lot more tame. Anyone have any thoughts on this with Bantams?

I've noticed this in some of my birds, too. It seems to me like they all get a bit more friendly around the time they go into lay, or at least a bit less flighty, but it definitely depends on the breed and the individual bird. My Light Brown Leghorn hen, for instance, was always shy and flighty, and coming into lay didn't change that. On the flip side, my Dorks are friendly from hatch all the way through point of lay, no change at all. :love Those are large fowl, of course, but my best examples. :p For bantams, the OEGB girls did go through a shy phase, too, though it doesn't seem like my Cochin bantams or Silkies ever really did... Truth be told, neither of those breeds have been overly affectionate with me to begin with, so that could have something to do with it.

3b03fcbe-6787-48e3-b05c-1d9f5d1f8ab0-jpeg.1958364

:love :love :love

Will I have to do anything special for the babies or will mom take complete care of them?

If you have a hen raising them, she should take care of all the work. As @chickens really mentioned, you may want to split mama and babies from the flock for a short while until those babies are good and mobile, but other than that, she should do the rest. :)

The Moderns are so cool! And the colors of the OEGBs are incredible. I really love the darkest features. Such deep coloring. I love the Brown Leghorn and all the Rosecombs!! Thanks so much for sharing. I’d love to go to that show someday!!

It's an experience, for sure! Every time I go I find a new variety I never knew existed in a breed. The Rosecombs really blew me away with all the colors this year! :love

I’m suddenly glad I decided not to go :lau
My birds birds aren’t in good condition, and there are some definite beauties there.
And I probably would have come home with unneeded chickens :gig:confused:

:gig Are they really unneeded if you want them, though...? ;) :p

SOOOOO much to catch up on! :eek:

Thank you all for your kindness....it makes Nugget's passing a little easier to bear. :hugs Yes, I believe a hawk got her. :(

@mymilliefleur , you're more than welcome! :hugs In my eyes, they're pretty incredible. :love
I wasn't able to attend Ohio Nationals, either, sadly. :hmm At least we can experience it vicariously through those who did! :love

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
You're so welcome. :) Fantastic choice! Besides that, chicks are far more fun to raise. :lol: Of course not, who needs Wheaten AMs? :confused:;)

WOWZERS!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: My jaw hit the floor over those beauties! :love:love:love Am I the only one who can actually SEE the Moderns' personalities? :lol: So many gorgeous varieties of People, too. Here I am, stuck with boring black. :rolleyes:

The very last entry obviously takes the cake here.....those bones are simply perfect! :love:love

~Alex

It's been a rough past few days for the flock (and me). :hmm In addition to Nugget, I lost Teeny (my oldest Blue Red OEGB) and Sleepy Scott (Crele OEGB), as well as came very close to losing Tiny Titan. Thankfully, he made a miraculous recovery last minute. :fl Lancelot seemed ill last night, too, but seems to feel better this morning after a mashed potato break with Titan. :)
20191115_090741.jpg
~Alex

It's been a rough past few days for the flock (and me). :hmm In addition to Nugget, I lost Teeny (my oldest Blue Red OEGB) and Sleepy Scott (Crele OEGB), as well as came very close to losing Tiny Titan. Thankfully, he made a miraculous recovery last minute. :fl Lancelot seemed ill last night, too, but seems to feel better this morning after a mashed potato break with Titan. :)
View attachment 1959435
~Alex
Oh that's sad...:hmm
What's wrong? :idunno

I'm not terribly sure, to be honest, and that's what's upsetting me. :hmm It's a sudden attack of neurological distress that kills them within a short amount of time. My flock does have Marek's, but knowledgeable members don't think this is the cause.

~Alex
Lacking selenium in the diet maybe? :idunno
Sorry that's happening. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom