Bantam cochin fertility issues

Adil_Ali

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
I bought a trio of bantam cochin chickens. And the hens are laying eggs, and I have hatched a few of their eggs in the past (6), but the fertility is extremely low. Their age is about 3 years, and I feel like the problem isn't with the age, I think they face difficulty in mating. The male does not mount the hen properly due to the excessive amount of feathers, and odd shape of the bird and I feel like he always misses the vent. What can I do? I feel like artificial insemination would work; except the only thing is I have never done it before, and don't know anyone who does it. Any of you have any tips I could use?

Cheers
Shelby

I bought a trio of bantam cochin chickens. And the hens are laying eggs, and I have hatched a few of their eggs in the past (6), but the fertility is extremely low. Their age is about 3 years, and I feel like the problem isn't with the age, I think they face difficulty in mating. The male does not mount the hen properly due to the excessive amount of feathers, and odd shape of the bird and I feel like he always misses the vent. What can I do? I feel like artificial insemination would work; except the only thing is I have never done it before, and don't know anyone who does it. Any of you have any tips I could use?

Cheers
Shelby
I hope that won’t happened with my Cochins. (Standard size).

Maybe these people could help: @azygous @Wyorp Rock

What’s inbreeding again?
It happens when you breed brother x sister, father x daughter, son x mother, etc.
Birds are pretty resistant to inbreeding, unlike us mammals. Breeding father x daughter will not be a big deal if done for a couple of generations (I've read that 4 or 5 it's still fine). Inbreeding it's used many times in purebred birds (or if you are creating a new color or breed) to obtain offspring with certain desiderable traits.
If you keep inbreeding, tho, the offspring will begin to have more and more problems. The first signal of close inbreeding it's low fertility, then there's a low vitality and resistance of the chicks. If you keep inbreeding anyways, you'll have chicks with genetic problems and deformities.

It happens when you breed brother x sister, father x daughter, son x mother, etc.
Birds are pretty resistant to inbreeding, unlike us mammals. Breeding father x daughter will not be a big deal if done for a couple of generations (I've read that 4 or 5 it's still fine). Inbreeding it's used many times in purebred birds (or if you are creating a new color or breed) to obtain offspring with certain desiderable traits.
If you keep inbreeding, tho, the offspring will begin to have more and more problems. The first signal of close inbreeding it's low fertility, then there's a low vitality and resistance of the chicks. If you keep inbreeding anyways, you'll have chicks with genetic problems and deformities.
Oh wow, I didn’t know this. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom