BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I am hoping someone can help me out here with a color question. These two pullets (I think) were hatched April 1 and their colors have changed so much. I am kinda wondering what I am going to end up with? I was hoping for more of a calico as they were breed calico hen and calico roo, but he's mostly red? could they change again after first molt?

Here they are about 1 - 2 weeks old.

Getting a little older but I still was hopeful at this point they would have nice Calico coloring.

This is them now at 11 weeks old?

Need help sexing one of my Cochin bantam chicks.

Cockerel

??????????????

Pullet

have a question for my fellow bantam cochin owers...at what age do they stop laying eggs? My girl is 3 years old and has slowed down over the last year(stopped for molt and winter of course) She is a pet..not for eggs so asking to see what is typical and healthy
smile.png

have a question for my fellow bantam cochin owers...at what age do they stop laying eggs? My girl is 3 years old and has slowed down over the last year(stopped for molt and winter of course) She is a pet..not for eggs so asking to see what is typical and healthy
smile.png
Yes the egg production slows with age even with birds bred for laying. That is why most laying hens are culled by for profit egg farms by 2 or 3... however she will probably lay for many more years. So nothing to worry about. :)

Last edited:
Yes the egg production slows with age even with birds bred for laying. That is why most laying hens are culled by for profit egg farms by 2 or 3... however she will probably lay for many more years. So nothing to worry about. :)

Thank you! Just want to be sure she is healthy...laying eggs it totally up to her
thumbsup.gif
What is the average life span for bantam cochins...any idea? My girl has had a couple of issues with fluid in her belly and infection. First time drained the fluid, gave anitibiotics and she was back to normal in a week, We just had that done again a couple days ago, so hoping to see her back to normal in a few days! We ADORE her!!!

Hi

Was looking for help in confirming that my sweet Penguin is a cockerel please. He's really quiet...does the baby long not quite a crow vocalization. A bit of the ruffle/stare/chest bump, but maybe just a couple of times...I know that's common for pullets too. He's about 2months old. Was one of the slowest for feathers...not seeing the start of a long rooster tail, but the neck feathers & comb/wattles make me wonder. Also, I'm thinking he carries the blue gene(s) he was really that blue/gray color as a baby & when the light hits him you can see a blue tone. Tried to capture it all in the pics...hopefully not too much.

Hi Was looking for help in confirming that my sweet Penguin is a cockerel please. He's really quiet...does the baby long not quite a crow vocalization. A bit of the ruffle/stare/chest bump, but maybe just a couple of times...I know that's common for pullets too. He's about 2months old. Was one of the slowest for feathers...not seeing the start of a long rooster tail, but the neck feathers & comb/wattles make me wonder. Also, I'm thinking he carries the blue gene(s) he was really that blue/gray color as a baby & when the light hits him you can see a blue tone. Tried to capture it all in the pics...hopefully not too much.
He is definitely a rooster and he is a black. Black chicks look gray or blue sometimes. The blue in his feathers now are because they are iridescent. If you breed any black chicken with a splash chicken all the babies will be blue.

Violetsfeathers--thanks! He makes #4 out of 14 that are boys....I think my white is a boy too that'd be #5. Love the luck of straight runs--it's fun to figure out/learn.

I've already a grown roo--a mille fleur d'uccle/cochin mix who needs more girls/attitude adjustment. He keeps flying up against my legs. lol..hoping more girls would chill him out. Either way...Penguin's a favorite so he stays. The 3 oegb & my white...have to decide...plus if anyone else is male too. So far just having the teenager try it out stuff, no real multi-roo problems. Keeping my eye out though. The mille hasn't paid the young ones much attention either.

You're welcome :)
I have a Mille fluer/ brahma bantam roo. And some Cochin bantam chicks that are a little younger than yours and I have seven roosters out of 13 chicks. Originally I had 15 but two died before I knew their gender.

Back
Top Bottom