BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Yay! I'm not the only one with the luck of picking/getting boys. The 2month olds I picked them so it's all on me. Presumably the americaunas, gold sex-link, & production red or whatever she is are all suppose to be she. So far...I think I'm safe. My cresteds have me leaning to girls too.

I do have my under a week ones now which seems to be 13 various cochins..so I can fill in from there along with 11 cresteds. Straight run all.

Do you have a problem finding homes for any you can't keep? Roos especially.

I am hoping someone can help me out here with a color question. These two pullets (I think) were hatched April 1 and their colors have changed so much. I am kinda wondering what I am going to end up with? I was hoping for more of a calico as they were breed calico hen and calico roo, but he's mostly red? could they change again after first molt?

Here they are about 1 - 2 weeks old.

Getting a little older but I still was hopeful at this point they would have nice Calico coloring.

This is them now at 11 weeks old?

How unusual, the coloring in the last two pictures make them appear to be more of a buff color? Sorry, I am not familiar with the calico breeding ways, maybe someone with more expertise? But with the molt thing, while it is possible I don't know because they are such a solid buff color. They defiantly looked as if they would be a little calico or mille fleur as chicks. They are very pretty regardless!

Couple of the younger pics made me think mille fleur. I don't know anything about calico...have to find pics to see what one looks like. I have a poorly marked mille fleur hen (about 1.5 yrs & hasn't molted) that looks similar to yours...so maybe there's mille in there & the white/black markings just aren't showing. It happens. Still pretty babies. Here's Hops:

Couple of the younger pics made me think mille fleur. I don't know anything about calico...have to find pics to see what one looks like. I have a poorly marked mille fleur hen (about 1.5 yrs & hasn't molted) that looks similar to yours...so maybe there's mille in there & the white/black markings just aren't showing. It happens. Still pretty babies. Here's Hops:

Hops is very pretty is that a recent photo. Looks like Buff Columbian to me.

Cool...I know the guy I got her from as a baby chick was working on bringing the mille fleur into the cochins so I figured she was just poorly marked. I know her mom is a white cochin. I have her brother from the same mother, but different father who's more on the d'uccle side...body--bit thicker, hock, light beard & lots of color.

The photo was from either earlier this year or late last year. Here's from this morning. She wasn't happy with my taking her pic..was trying to get a better shot for her markings & tail, but not cooperative today,

On another note....for week old chicks, how to you decide who to keep/pick? I'm looking for an assortment of color & somewhat breed. Is there a distinct difference between laced, penciled, & partridge at this age? I thought this deep reddish chick barely chipmunk marking to be seen would be partridge, but the feathers coming in are looking like the ones I think are gold laced. Also the ones I thought might be mille fleur d'uccle except for the beards not being visible when I posted about what breed was told gold laced, but their feathers are different than the others. They're not chipmunk markings either. If I'm making sense? I don't expect show quality, just would like to be able to choose different ones. Of these 3 are 2 gold laced & 1 partirdge as I'm currently thinking? Here's from today. Thank you all! Sorry if I'm a pest, but I'm trying to learn & searching for pics, etc. hasn't turned up much to help my warped brain get it.

On another note....for week old chicks, how to you decide who to keep/pick? I'm looking for an assortment of color & somewhat breed. Is there a distinct difference between laced, penciled, & partridge at this age? I thought this deep reddish chick barely chipmunk marking to be seen would be partridge, but the feathers coming in are looking like the ones I think are gold laced. Also the ones I thought might be mille fleur d'uccle except for the beards not being visible when I posted about what breed was told gold laced, but their feathers are different than the others. They're not chipmunk markings either. If I'm making sense? I don't expect show quality, just would like to be able to choose different ones. Of these 3 are 2 gold laced & 1 partirdge as I'm currently thinking? Here's from today. Thank you all! Sorry if I'm a pest, but I'm trying to learn & searching for pics, etc. hasn't turned up much to help my warped brain get it.

For me personally I never choose who to keep till they are older as their color can change so drastically. Most of the chicks above have the partridge pattern coming in but they could be Partridge with millie fleur coloring come in later I have a few partridge Millie fleur bantam cochins and they are very pretty. The last one could be calico. The two above the last one I can not tell yet. None of them are Gold Laced I have raised Gold laced off and on. I have one now and they do not feather in like any of the above chicks. here aresome picture of one of my some of my partridge Millie Fluer Bantam Cochens.

The far right bottom has partridge coloring with the Millie Fleur pattern also

Back
Top Bottom