Bantam Cochins Gender? Angel Wing?

SFrati

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Springfield, MA
All of the chicks feathered at about the same time. I tried to vent sex them on day 1 and had difficulty. I am not sure what breed they are other than bantam cochins. They were sold to me as bantam buff orpingtons. I gave my guesses on gender. They are 2 days shy of 3 weeks old. What do you think?

Chick #1 is larger and has a wider stance than his peers. "His" wings are slightly upturned and I have named "him" Willy because he is so Wonkey. Do you think I need to do some physical therapy with him to fix his wings or will he be just fine? When he walks it is like he is doing a shuffle ball change(tap dancing term) with every step but he moves around quickly and holds his own.

Chick #2 is also larger and darker in color. "His" body looks normal except his third toe is missing a toenail. "He" is standing in the middle of the second pic up taller than "his" peers.

Chick 3 is small. "Her" comb is pale and "she" is very timid and is the last to go for food.

Chick 4 "she is very calm but stands up for herself.

For size comparison:In order 1, 2, 3, 4. And yes, they did just poop on my floor.

Bird #2 is a cockerel for sure. #4 looks to be getting its wattles in and I would keep an eye on that one too because it might also be a cockerel. To me #3 looks the most likely to be a pullet, she has the least comb and wattle development of the four that I can see. #1 might also be a pullet, she also has less development.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom